Code of Conduct
1. Act ethically, legally and with professionalism
2. Do not make misleading statements
3. Make reasonable statements subject to change and revision
4. Do not disparage the work of others
5. No insider trading
6. Duty to employers and clients
7. No front running
8. Do not copy other analysts. If analyst is deceased or unavailable, work can be quoted but appropriate credit must be provided.
9. Use CMT designation as appropriate.
Code of Conduct #1
1. Members and Affiliates shall maintain at all times the highest standards of professional competence, integrity and judgment. Said standards should be maintained, and members and affiliates should act with dignity and in an ethical manner when dealing with the public, clients, prospects, employees, fellow Members and Affiliates and business associates.
This ethical standard requires strict compliance with the applicable laws and regulations of any government, governmental agency and regulatory organization which has jurisdiction over the professional activities of Members and Affiliates.
This same ethical standard requires that Members and Affiliates abide by the Constitution and By-Laws of the Association, and all rules promulgated by its Board of Directors. Members and Affiliates shall not unduly exploit their relationship with the Association for commercial purposes, nor use, or permit others to use, Association mailing lists for other than Association purposes.
Code of Conduct #2
2. Members and Affiliates shall not publish or make statements which they know or have reason to believe are inaccurate or misleading. Members and Affiliates shall avoid leading others to believe that their technically-derived views of future security price behavior reflect foreknowledge rather than estimates and projections subject to reexamination and, as events may dictate, to change.
Code of Conduct #3
3. Members and Affiliates shall not publish or make statements concerning the technical position of a security, a market or any of its components or aspects unless such statements are reasonable and consistent in light of the available evidence and of the accumulated knowledge in the field of financial technical analysis. New methods of technical analysis and modifications of existing concepts and techniques shall be fully documented as to procedure and rationale. Proprietary methods shall not be infringed, but this standard shall be a guide in the creation of proprietary products.
Code of Conduct #4
4. Members and Affiliates shall not publish or make statements which indefensibly disparage and discredit the analytical work of others.
Code of Conduct #5
5. Members and Affiliates shall not seek, disseminate or act on the basis of material, non-public (inside) information, if to do so would violate the laws and regulations of any government, governmental agency or regulatory organization relating to the use of inside information.
Code of Conduct #6
6. Members and Affiliates shall keep in confidence knowledge concerning the lawful private affairs of both past and present clients, employers, and employer’s clients.
Code of Conduct #7
7. When a Member or Affiliate recommends that a security ought to be bought, sold or held, adequate opportunity to act on such a recommendation shall be given to the Member’s or Affiliate’s clients, employer, and the employer’s clients before acting on behalf of either the Member’s or Affiliate’s own account or the accounts of immediate family members.
Code of Conduct #8
8. Members and Affiliates shall not copy or deliberately use substantially the same language or analysis contained in reports, studies or writings prepared by any author unless permission to do so is received, in advance, from the author. In the event the original author is deceased, or is otherwise unavailable to grant such permission, Members and Affiliates must ensure that the original author receives prominent and adequate credit for the original work.
Code of Conduct #9
9. Members who have earned the CMT designation shall use CMT after their name whenever and wherever appropriate.