Flashcards in Eukoryotic cell cycle Deck (11):
What are the stages of the Eukaryotic cell cycle?
What happens in G1?
- Amino acids form proteins for DNA replication
- Chromosomes in singular chromatin form
What happens in S phase?
- Synthesis of new DNA
- DNA replication occurs
- All chromosomes are replicated
- Very rapid
What happens in G2 phase?
- Cells continue to grow
- proofreading enzymes check DNA for correct DNA replication
What happens in G0 phase?
- Resting phase where no replication occurs
- Apoptosis may occur (programmed cell death)
What are the stages of Mitosis?
What occurs in Prophase?
- DNA supercoiling (fat clustery ball)
- Nuclear envelope breaks down
- Centrioles divide and move to the poles
- spindles form
What occurs in Metaphase?
- Sister chromatids attach to the spindles by their centromeres at the cell equator
What occurs in Anaphase? ( Anarchy splits up society)
- centromeres of each chromatic pair split up
- motor proteins drag chromatids towards the poles
What occurs in Telophase?
- New nuclear envelopes form around the chromosomes forming two nuclei