Flashcards in Exam 1 Deck (22):
Why study sport history?
- Holistic understanding of sport
- Critical thinking
- Connections (Past to present, Other cultures)
- Perspective (Impact of sport on society & vice-versa)
Ways to study history:
- exploration, discovery, intrigue
- memorization of facts: dates, events
- history is subjective, requires interpretation
7 themes of history:
- class structure
History is about:
2 types of historical research:
What is descriptive historical research?
- detailed info about the past
- no judgement
What is interpretive historical research?
- how and why events happened
- subject to interpretation
2 main sources for historical research:
Give 5 examples of primary historical research.
- eye witness
- court documents
Describe and give 4 examples of secondary historical research.
- articles that interpret or review research works
Why aren't primary sources always better than secondary sources?
primary sources aren't always credible
Give 6 examples of oral histories.
- passed from generation to generation
Give 4 examples of where history is shown from evidence to fact.
- literary texts and papyrus
- text engraved in stone (inscriptions)
- paintings or graffiti on pots and other media
- archaeology and artifacts
- fact or reality
- opinion or someone's interpretation of an event
Name 5 sources of issues.
- conflicting views by spectators
- selection bias
How to arrive at a conclusion:
- assess the situation
Give an example of how some historians arrive at different conclusions using the same facts.
- building of Stonehenge
- temple built for priests
- finished before priests were there
- sun worshipers?
What are the 5 approaches to sport history?
Describe the political approach to sport history.
how politics affects role of sport
Describe the cultural approach to sport history.
- what role sport plays in society
- who plays what, why
- who can attend what
- class relationships to sport
Describe the biographical approach to sport history.
- role of the individual in sport
- famous heros/contributors