What would happen if you omitted the phenol from the reaction mixture
Phenol slows down the rate of the reaction
- if phenol is omitted = rxn occurs too quickly
- inaccurate data collection
What function does methyl red play in the experiment
- changes colour when all the phenol is used up
- allows us to determine the amount of bromine formed
- acts as a dye
Based on your results, is it advisable to measure the reaction rate at temperatures above 60 degrees Celsius?
- rxn occurs rapidly at high temperatures
- difficult to time accurately
Based on your results, how was the reaction affected by temperature?
- as temperature increases, reaction time decreases
= rxn rate increases
- as temp increase, more molecules gain minimum energy faster = can react faster
- more effective collisions in the right orientation can occur