Flashcards in Experiment 8: Physical And Chem Properties Of Organic Compounds Deck (4)
Explain the trend in the following melting points:
Pentane has a Mp of -129^oC,
Diet gym ether has a mp of -116^oC
1-butanol has a melting point of -90^oC
- most C atoms = greatest surface area for van der waal’s forces to form on and act upon
= lowest melting pt => easiest to overcome
- dipole-dipole forces due to polarized C-O bond and van der waal’s forces acting on it = more energy required to overcome intermolecular forces
- hydroxyl group => hydrogen bonds
=> requires most energy to overcome
What would you expect the product of the reaction of cyclohexane with Br_2 to be?
What type of rxn is it?
Is it the same type of reaction as occurred between phenol and Br_2 in exercise 9.
C_6H_12 + Br_2 —> C_6H_12Br_2
- 1,2-dibromhexane would be the product
- it is an addition rxn, namely a halogenation rxn
- no, it is not the same because the reaction that occurs between phenol and Br_2 is a substitution rxn where decolourization occurs and hydrogen bromide would form as a product
What can you deduce about the structure of unknown A
It turned orange/. Row. With Br_2 so it is saturated and it remained purple
= it is structurally similar to cyclohexane