Flashcards in Food Safety Deck (13):
What conditions to microorganisms need to grow and multiply?
1. A warm temperature
2. Plenty of moisture
3. Plenty of food
4. The right pH
5. Enough time
What are high-risk foods?
ready-to-eat foods, that if not stored correctly, could grow harmful bacteria on them
What degrees must you cook above in order to kill bacteria?
What is the danger zone (the range of temperatures that bacteria grows fastest within)?
From 5 degrees to 63 degrees
What are ambient foods?
Foods that can be safely stored at room temperature
Give 5 steps to reduce health and safety risks when preparing food?
1. Wash your hands
2. Separate raw and cooked foods using different chopping boards
3. Wash raw veggies thoroughly
4. Use clean equipment and clean surfaces
5. Defrost frozen food fully, and away from other food
Give 2 steps to reduce health and safety risks when cooking?
1. Cook food at right temps and for correct times
2. Test temperature of food using a temp probe
Give 2 steps to reduce health and safety risks when serving food?
1. Serve hot food right away
2. Keep food covered to prevent insects contaminating it
Name and describe the 5 types of bacteria?
1. Campylobacter: from raw meat/untreated milk or water
2. E.coli: raw beef, untreated milk/water, unwashed veggies
3. Staphylococcus aureus: Found on our bodies
4. Listeria: found in soft cheeses and shellfish
5. Salmonella: found in raw meat and eggs
What is pasteurisation?
When milk is heated at around 72 degrees for 15 seconds to kill off any bacteria
What does mould do for certain types of cheeses?
It gives it a creamy texture and a distinctive sharp, tangy taste
What does yeast do for bread?
Helps bread rise by producing carbon dioxide in the bread