Flashcards in Forgiveness And Peace Deck (9)
what is forgiveness
the idea that after wrongs have been committed, there has to be a way forward for that relationship
what is a buddhist attitude towards forgiveness
- lack of forgiveness only hurts you
- Buddha says that anger is like "holding in to hot coal - intending to throw it at someone -but you are the one who gets burned"
- suggest that anger eats away at people so forgiveness prevents more hurt
what is a christian attitude towards forgiveness (enemies)
- we should forgive everyone who does wrong to us
- jesus said "love your enemies"
- in order to love you must forgive and therefore leave no one to be the enemy
what is a muslim attitude towards forgiveness
- forgiveness will make Allah think highly of you
- quran says " those who pardon and maintain righteousness are rewarded by God"
- tells us forgiveness is a higher quality that Allah will reward after faced with injustice
what is a christian attitude towards forgiveness (number of times)
- we should never hold on to grudges
- "forgive 70 x 7 times" - jesus
- suggests that we should always try to understand the wrong doers and theres no limit to how many time you can forgive
what is a christian attitude towards peace (pope)
- "everyone should commit themselves to peace" pope john paul III
what is a christian attitude towards peace (rule)
- christians believe that peace is a simple display of equality
- the golden rule "treat others the same way you want to be treated"
- teaching tells us to think about the negative feelings we would have if we didnt have peace, so we should spread it to others too
how do religious believers help victims of war
- joining an organisation to strengthen its work thorough contributions
- taking a job which directly helps with victims of war
- campaigning politically and encouraging others to do so
- holding vigils and praying for peace
- employing peace negotiators