Flashcards in Formation Standards Deck (41):
Signal for route?
Fishtail or palm push
Signal for take spacing?
open palm facing aft moved fore/aft
Sweep vs. Cleared ATIS?
Sweep - all members. Cleared - directed member goes
How does formation engine start work?
- Before closing canopy, thumbs up to crew chief
- When double thumbs up, give engine start signal
- After all checks before taxi, give thumbs up. At double thumbs up, call ground
- During ITS Caution/Danger/FRL Low (Caution), individual start and watch check-in time
○ 10 minutes for 15L and 15 for 33R
If clearance required, initial prime check-in on Clearance. After read back correct, 2 responds with "2"
Parameters for bulls eye check being "same"?
3 deg 1 NM
Calls for #2 on takeoff?
"Push it up." "Give me one." Don't set below 85% ever
When do you reduce power on interval t/o?
First turn out of traffic
Where does #2 rejoin on interval t/o?
Inside of first turn. If straight ahead, rejoin left side except on 33R
What can #1 do if #2 cannot rejoin by clouds on interval t/o?
lead will coordinate for a level-off or separate clearances w/ alt deconfliction
What does last a/c call on instrument trail?
"Ripper 2 airborne" on Aux
Instrument trail: What must be told over radio on Aux?
All altitude, level-off and heading changes
What will #1 call in addition on instrument trail?
Clear of clouds
What will #2 call in addition on instrument trail?
Who owns lead's probes in IMC?
Standard changeover fuel/time for formation
750 lbs or 35 minutes (1.4 ASD)
What will be briefed before the GX?
bingo, altimeter, and FM floor/NORDO altitudes.
What will be included on ops checks in the area?
Fuel and G's
Who has primary responsibility for flight path deconfliction?
What will all a/c do during blind drill?
squawk and TAS to aid reform
Standard formation area maneuvers?
- WW: x3 side w/ crossunder during maneuvering. During last leaf, lead directs wingman to close trail and continues maneuvering at WW level
- Close Trail: 2 leaves w/ a reform at the end
- Echelon turn (1 turn approx 180 degrees)
- Pitch out (approx 180 deg)
Rejoin: one straight ahead and at least one turning. When from ET, rejoin to #3
What's in a tac set?
2 90 deg turns, 2 45 deg turns, one hook turn, a cross-turn, and a rejoin. Auto-shackle after cross-turn. Usually comm out as much as possible
When will a BD check be performed?
On all formation sorties
When must a BD check be accomplished by?
Before entering the radar drop off point
How does a formation split up work?
Lead in charge of radios still. Alpha check to verify NAVAIDS (3 deg 1 NM - same). "Ripper 2, you are cleared off."
Where does lead place wingman on overhead?
Outside of turns
For overhead, what kind of turns?
Echelon (no visual required). Lead will attempt to make one turn to initial.
When does lead clear off wingman on overhead?
At the break. If going straight through initial, wingman is cleared off at dep end w/ pitchout
Where does lead put wing on formation approach?
When must #1 have #2 in position for form landing?
Prior to 5 mile point
Type of turns in form approach?
What will lead do if performing closed and wing is inside of turn?
Clear them off w/ pitchout
What does #2 say if landing on cold side?
"Ripper 1 cleared cold"
Procedures for taxi back?
- Auto change to ground or Tinder after departing runway
- Solo students in form still stop to install pin
- Form members remain on Aux until engine shutdown
What does wing do if lead aborts on form t/o?
Check PCL to MAX and perform own t/o - centerline brick wall
What does either do if other has abort before brake release?
What does wing do if lead aborts on interval?
In case of lead aborting w/ wingman rolling, strong consideration should be given to aborting the t/o as there may not be sufficient spacing to t/o behind lead
What does lead coordinate on midair collision?
separate chase ships and directs the recovery/diversion sequence
What is the procedure for midair and NORDO?
LOA for lead, HEB for #2
Procedure for double blind & radio failure?
- Center radial/center DME. Squawk 7600. All use TAS. #1 and #3 orbit left at 180 w/ 30 deg bank. #2 and #4 orbit right.
- NORDO a/c leaves at JOKER. Other a/c leave at BINGO.
- #1 will orbit 11k in low, 15k in continuous, and 17k in high. Once form is established in working area
- #2: +-1k. #3: +-2k. #4 +-3k
Hydraulic problem considerations?
good a/c should delay lowering gear until emergency a/c gear starts down. Normally use separate signals for gear and flaps. If disabled a/c refuses the lead on final, drop off the emergency a/c in the flare