Flashcards in Tac Deck (27):
Objective of tac form?
Increased maneuverability and optimize weapons and radar employment & visual lookout
Main reference for wingman?
The wingman's primary reference for heading and airspeed is lead.
Element LAB (Tac) Position
- 2000-3000 lateral separation, LAB to 10 deg aft, vertical stack of up to 500 feet
Lateral references for tac?
2000 - ejection seats and helmets visible. 2500 - ejection seats discernable, but individual pilots not. 3000 - canopy blends with fuselage, but prop blade visible
Which turns are not signaled visually?
All tac turns except a cross turn, shackle, or hook turn into wingman are signaled visually
The Contract Turn
200 KIAS, MAX power, G to hold airspeed (2-3), and level turns
Turns Away from Wingman
Large wing flash from lead (approx 90 deg) away from wingman
Turns Into the Wingman
Lead just goes
How large can a check turn be?
Up to 30 deg
When does delay a/c start 90 turn?
increase in LOS (this occurs approx when lead is approaching nose on)
How do you correct for an out-of-position 45/90 turn?
"Tight or behind, come early"
How do hook turns into work?
- Must be called over radio
- Lead: During first half, lead is visual. Match fuselage through 90 deg turn. Blind 1/2 through
- Wingman: After passing through 90, begin looking out the top of the canopy for lead while continuing turn. Blind first half.
How do hook turns away work?
- Signaled visually with a wing flash or called over radio
- If initiated w/ wing flash, lead will begin turning when wingman begins turn
○ Lead's immediate turn indicates hook turn
When do you cross over on a cross turn?
A/c cross after 60-90 deg turn
Parameters for a Tac GX?
Parameters for Tac Straight Ahead Rejoin?
Standard platform is 200 KIAS, 45 deg bank, level
Initial move in Tac Straight Ahead Rejoin?
- Make a bid towards lead's 6
○ Forward LOS and get a slightly low stack
○ May need to make 2 bids
Aim point an imaginary close trail
How much overtake on Tac Straight Ahead Rejoin?
When do you go MAX power on Tac Turning Rejoin?
Vertical stack above and into and away
Procedure for Tac Turning Rejoin into?
○ MAX and pull to high 6
○ Once forward LOS observed, reverse turn to reacquire lead, low on the inside of the turn
○ No back stick pressure during the turn reversal in order to continue a flight path toward lead's turn circle and assess LOS
○ Descend into normal rejoin
FM Starting parameters?
Start: 11k - 12k, 200 KIAS, 3000 LAB for 1/2 and 3000-4000 for 3/4, level
Aim for pure pursuit and 40 AA
Objectives for FM?
○ Air-to-air training rules
○ Solving geometric problems
○ Training a/c: controlling briefed parameters
○ Maneuvering a/c: turn circles
○ Stabilizing in ET cone from outside
Resolving high closure/aspect in FM 3 & 4
Where is the floor in FM?
Procedure for starting FM?
Next, lead turns away: "Ripper check left/right" 45 deg
Wing goes pure pursuit. Lead then reverses turn & maintains having wing w/ 4 AA
Wing can call "Ripper ease off" or "Ripper tighten up"
Once within 1,500 feet, call fight's on
Initial moves for FM?
- Drive to the turn circle
- Ease off pull for pure, allowing training a/c to drift toward canopy bow (lag)
When LOS starts increasing, you've entered the turn circle
Parameters for training a/c in FM Level 1?
Level to slightly decreasing (10)