Flashcards in General Knowledge Deck (16):
At what pressure do you pump a master stream with a fog nozzle?
You always pump at 100 psi
At what pressure do you pump a master stream with a smooth bore nozzle?
You generally pump at 80 psi. If the master stream is fixed (the stang) you can increase the pressure to 100 psi.
What is the FL for a master stream appliance?
At what pressure do you pump a hand line with a smooth bore nozzle?
At what pressure is the intake pressure relief valve set?
Who sets this pressure?
Barry at the shop sets the pressure.
When pumping into a sprinkler system, your starting pressure (according to Richmond policy) is....
125 psi. This may increase depending on the interior conditions.
Smooth Bore handlines- 50 psi
1 1/8" GPM?
1 1/4" GPM?
1" 200 GPM
1 1/8" 250 GPM
1 1/4" 300 GPM
Tips over 1 1/4" are not considered practical or safe to be used on smooth bore handlines.
Convert cubic inches to gallons
Convert cubic feet to gallons
Gallons = cubic inches / 231
Gallons = cubic feet x 7.481
Name the Six Principles of Pressures in Fluids
1. Fluid pressure is perpendicular to any surface on which it acts
2. Fluid pressure at a point in a fluid at rest is of the same intensity in all directions.
3. Pressure applied to a confined fluid from without is transmitted in all directions without diminution.
4. The downward pressure of a liquid in an open vessel is proportional to its depth.
5. The downward pressure of a liquid in an open vessel is proportional to the liquid density.
6. The downward pressure of a liquid on the bottom of a vessel is independent of the shape of the vessel itself.
How much does a cubic foot of water weigh?
Each inch of Mercury on the negative side of the compound gauge is equivalent to.....
________ feet of water
1.13 feet of water
20" of Mercury= 1.13 x 20
=water will rise 22.6 feet toward pump ( not including FL)
Pump Rated Capacity
_____% of rated capacity at 150 psi
_____% of rated capacity at 200 psi
_____% of rated capacity at 250 psi
100% at 150 psi
70% at 200 psi
50% at 250 psi
A common method of measuring atmospheric pressure is comparing it with the weight of Mercury. A pressure of 1 psi makes the column of Mercury how tall? What is atmospheric pressure at sea level?
1 psi makes the Mercury 2.04 inches tall. Atmospheric pressure at sea level is 14.7 or 29.9 inches of Mercury.
Any pressure less than atmospheric pressure is called...
Head is the height of a water supply above the discharge orifice. Convert 100 feet of head to head pressure.
100 feet / 2.304 = 43.4 psi
2.304 is the number of feet that 1 psi will raise a 1 sq inch column of water