Flashcards in Genetic Engineering Deck (3)
What are some uses of genetic engineering?
Insulin- used to treat diabetes
Human Growth Hormone- Used to treat some growth conditions
Golden Rice- Rice that is rich in Vitamin A
What are the stages of genetic engineering?
1) Identify required gene on it's original chromosome in cell
2) Extract the gene using enzymes
3) extract plasmid from bacterial cell
4) enzyme cuts open plasmid
5) gene inserted into plasmid and sealed using enzyme
7) plasmid inserted back into host bacterial cell to produce a genetically modified bacterial cell
8) genetically modified cell divides and produces required product