Flashcards in Human - Changing Economic World Deck (38)
What does HDI involve?
- Life expectancy, literacy rate, GDP
- 0 is bad, 1 is good
Number of tourists to Kenya per year?
Improvement in tourism in Kenya?
0.9 million in 1995, 1.8 million now
Percentage of Kenya’s GDP from tourism?
Percentage of employment in Kenya from tourism?
Number of national parks in Kenya that charge for entry?
HDI score increase in Kenya due to tourism since 2000?
0.44 to 0.55
Tribespeople in Kenya who los land due to tourism?
Location of Nigeria?
- NW Africa
- Northern Hemisphere
- Borders: Benin, Niger, Chad, Cameroon
- South borders Atlantic Ocean (Gulf of Guinea)
Global importance of Nigeria?
- NEE with highest predicted GDP growth from 2010 to 2015
- 12th largest oil producer
- Diversifying economy
- 5th largest contributor to UN peacekeeping
African importance of Nigeria?
- Highest GDP in Africa (2014)
- Highest population (182 million)
- 3rd largest manufacturing sector
- Largest farm output (70% workers, 19 million cattle)
Why was Nigeria less developed in past?
- Gained independence from Europe in 1960
- Sudden independence resulted in dictatorships ad Nigerian Civil War (1967-1970) against Biafra
- As government stabilised recently in became attractive to investors
What fundamentalist group are still in Nigeria?
Boko Haram (in rural NE)
Nigeria’s change in job sectors between 1999 and 2012?
- 30% LESS primary
- 20% MORE secondary
- 10% MORE tertiary
How is Nigeria’s growing manufacturing sector boosting economy?
- Individual pay is higher
- Higher taxes for government
- Multiplier effect on other sectors
- Attracts TNCs
Benefits of TNCs in Nigeria?
- Offer employment (U= 1500) (S= 6000)
- Workers protected by social responsibility programs (U= 2nd best company to work for in Nigeria in 2014)
- Can improve infrastructure
Name 2 TNCs operating in Nigeria
- Shell oil
Drawbacks to TNCs in Nigeria?
- Can cause pollution, e.g oil spills and toxic fumes (S)
- Can be risky to operate in areas of deprivation, e.g. oil theft costs billions per year (S)
Why is aid given in Nigeria?
- Still very poor
- 60% population live on less than 63p per day
Why isn’t aid always effective in Nigeria?
Corruption (money given to Navy)
Give 3 examples of successes of aid in Nigeria?
- Nets for Life ... Education on malaria and mosquito nets
- World Banks... Loans to businesses to diversify economy
- UK government... Health and HIV programme in rural areas
How has Nigeria’s economic growth damaged the environment?
- Industry unchecked (10,000 small scale illegal industries)
- Air and water pollution from toxic waste
- 70-80% forests destroyed
Increase in Nigeria’s HDI?
How many people are employed in retail (a service - tertiary sector)?
General trend of UK economy since 1900s?
- Primary sector DECREASE
- Secondary sector DECREASE
- Tertiary sector INCREASE (now 80% of workforce)
- Quaternary sector BIRTH
How many people are employed in IT (a service)?
What is a footloose industry?
Don’t need raw materials so can move location anywhere
How many people employed in footloose industry? (Work from home)
8.9% of UK in 2007
How many people employed in finance (service)?
2 million +
How much does finance make up of UK GDP?
How much spent on research and development by UK in 2013?
Why is Cambridge Science Park located where it is?
- Transport links (near M11 to London and Stanstead airport)
- Near uni (educated workforce and good facilities)
Number of companies and employees at Cambridge Science Park?
64 companies with 4000+ employees
Knock-on impact of Cambridge Science Park?
1200 tech firms surrounding, employing 35,000
Evidence of the North-South divide?
- Wages (in 2014 was 40% higher in London than Huddersfield)
- Health (in 2012 East Dorset had 10 years higher life expectancy than Glasgow)
- Education (higher GCSE results in south)
How are the UK improving transport links?
- Proposed HS2
- Smart motorways increases capacity
- Crossrail will increase 10% railway capacity
- London Gateway on River Thames will be global hub
How much does the UK export annually?
Over £250 billion