Flashcards in intro to plants - lecture 5 Deck (7)
What is the main reason to study plant development?
- feeding a growing population
- 9.6 billion people in 2050 ( grain production must double)
what did crops used to be like?
The crops were much larger , longer stem act
What did the green revolution do?
- dwarfing of wheat and rice
- cheap fertilisers ( Nitrogen , pesticides, mechanisation , irrigation)
- rht ( reduced height genes)
When and where did the green revolution begin?
Why is the yield increase plateauing?
- feed a growing population
- by 2030 need to produce 50% more food
What plants to study?
- angiosperms; 352,000 species
- Arabidopsis thaliana