Flashcards in KQ4 - How can hot arid/semi-arid environments be managed to ensure sustainability? Deck (5)
Name some management solutions for Arches National Park, SE Utah, USA
- Fee charges
- Permit and restrictions
- Car parking congestion
- Charge visitor behaviour
How could fee charges operate?
• $10 a car for 7 days
• $20 a night in the Devil’s Garden Campsite
• These revenues may have a deterrent effect but the money raised is used to upgrade walking trails and provide new toilet facilities (running water is difficult to achieve), as well as replacing the worn out board walks to Delicate Arch
How could permit and restrictions work?
• The Fiery Furnace is an area of threatened and sensitive cryptobiotic crust
• In this area there are special walking permits costing $4 + limited to 25/day
• Ranger led walks which cost $10 for adults and these are limited
How could car parking and congestion work?
• New system in proposal to have shuttle buses
• People leave their cars outside and then use buses to get around
• Different kind of buses, such as an express route or an all-day ride with a ranger on-board, and bus timings are designed to spread the visitors throughout the daylight hours and so reduce congestion