Flashcards in L6 - Development Control, EIA and SEA Deck (25):
What 4 things does planning and development control do with regards to environmental considerations?
1. Ensure that environmental protection is considered at the planning stages
2. Ensure strict anticipatory control over activities before they start
3. Facilitate liaison with specialist environmental regulatory agencies
4. Confer power on decision-makers to impose conditions relating to environmental protection on grant of planning permission
Give 5 key pieces of primary planning legislation
1. Town and Country Planning Act 1990
2. Planning and Compensation Act 1991
3. Planning and Compulsory Purchase Act 2004
4. Localism Act 2011
5. Planning (Wales) Act 2015
Give 3 key pieces of secondary planning legislation
1. Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (England) Order 2015
2. Town and Country Planning (General Development Management) Order 2010
3. Town and Country Planning (Use Classes Order) 1987, SI 1987/764
What are the 2 documents used in planning policy (in England and Wales)?
England - Planning Policy Statements
Wales - Technical Advice Notes
Which section of TCPA 1990 outlines the need for planing permission?
Which section of TCPA 1990 outlines the definition of development?
What are the 2 main pillars to development and which case outlines them?
Case -- Cheshire Country Council v Woodward 
What are the 4 types of Local Authorities?
2. Non-Metropolitan Areas
3. Metropolitan Counties and Greater London
4. National Parks
Which Act deals with Marine Planning?
Marine and Coastal Access Act 2009
Which case introduced material considerations?
Stringer v Minister of Housing and Local Government 
Is the courts role restricted in the planning system?
What is the most recent amendment of the EIA directive?
What is the full name of the EIA directive?
Directive on the assessment of the effects of certain public and private projects on the environment
What does Article 2 (1) of the EIA Directive refer to?
Whether projects are likely to have significant effects on the environment amongst other things their nature, size and location
What is the difference between Annex I and II?
Annex I projects need a mandatory EIA, whereas Annex II projects are based on indicative thresholds or case-by-case examination
Which legislation in England and Wales is the EIA directive transposed into?
England - Town and Country Planning (EIA) Regulations 2011
Wales - Town and Country Planning (EIA) (England and Wales) Regulations 1999
What is the EIA process?
Project Initiated --> Screening --> Scoping --> EIA Report and Public Participation --> Review --> Decision-Making --> Monitoring
What 3 things are considered in a screening opinion?
1. Development Characteristics
2. Development Location
3. Potential Impact
What does scoping do?
Determine the extent if the environmental information for the Environmental Statement
Where are the requirements for the Environmental Statement outlined?
Schedule 4 of the 2011 Regulations
Which case outlined the importance of public participation?
Which Articles of the EIA directive deal with public participation?
6 and 9
Give 5 similarities of EIA and SEA
1. Information Gathering Exercises
2. Occur before Approval
3. Integrate environmental considerations into the planning process
4. Precautionary approach
5. Occupy different stages of the decision-making process
What is the full name and code of the SEA directive?
Directive 2001/42/EC on the assessment of the effects of certain plans and programmes on the environment