Flashcards in Lecture 3 Deck (10)
What is the purpose of a good design?
• Connect with the user’s sensibilities
What are some elements of design?
• Imagery and Iconography
• Depth and Dimension
What are some purposes of color in a design?
-appeals to emotions
-helps create associations
-can direct a user through a layout
Why use texture in a design?
• Texture is used to enhance a
• e.g., tactile experience
• Intentional or not, every design
• e.g., type, images, illustrations
Why us imagery and iconography?
• Users do not read, they scan
• The choice of imagery and
iconography should be
• i.e., add to the brand or the
• Images can increase the file
What is the purpose of scale in design?
• Scale creates a clear
hierarchy of elements
• A relative design element
• Small elements should be
included in the layout to
achieve a dynamic feeling of
What is the purpose of using depth and dimension?
• Adds visual interest and draws a
user into a design
• Gives a more tactile experience
• Adds an element of realism
• Ways to create depth
• Overlapping elements
• Adding colour gradient
• Adding shadows
Why use variability in design?
• Ability to change elements
design based on:
• Easiest/fastest way to change a
• For example, based on type of
• e.g., students and faculty
• Gives the user the impression of
a fresh and current site
What are the implications of Typography in design?
• Has the biggest impact on the
success/failure of a site