Flashcards in Lecture 6: Data Management, Modeling and Manipulation Deck (6)
What is data, information and knowledge?
Data - raw facts without deeper meaning
Information - data shaped into meaningful form through context
Knowledge - results from experience and education
What is a relational database?
- It organizes data into one or more related tables
- Consist of columns and rows
- Unique primary key identifies each row
How can redundancy's improve database performance?
Join-operations become unnecessary
What are the requirements of normal form 1?
1. The domain of each attribute contains only atomic values
2. Atomic values are values that cannot be split into multiple logically distinct parts
3. The value of each attribute only contains a single value form that domain
What are the requirements of normal form 2?
1. It satisfies 2NF
2. In case there is a composite key, there is no partial dependencies