Give a benefit of browsing pre-internet
Increased opportunity for chance discovery
What is a benefit of automatic annotation?
Scans data to ensure obvious errors are caught
Give 3 features of digital libraries
- Online help
- Archiving, cataloguing and curation of digital material
- Security of digital material (can be compromised; white hat hacking)
Why is google scholar better that typical google?
Whst is the benefit of having a joined table?
Enables complex queries
What is a downfall of automation of annotation?
Errors can be propagated via linked databases
Give 3 features of conventional libraries
- Copyright security
- Physical space, heating, lighting, facilities (Provides jobs; CO2 impact)
- Archinving, cataloguing and curation of printed material
What 3 things do publishers contribute to publication?
- Regulation of the peer review system (certification as important as dissemination)
What is an archive of a databse?
The database content
What is the ontology of a database?
A list of defined, valid terms
What is another definition of a schema for a database?
An Entity-Relationship (ER) diagram
Why are the sequences provided by databases a minor component?
Also included are variation annotation which provides greater insight
Contents of databases are organised into tables; what dow the rows and columns represent?
Rows: Data entities
Columns: Fields of entity properties
What consequence does hyperlinking have?
Increases dimensionality; easy to get lost or lose source of information
Give 4 benifits of open access publication