Flashcards in Lecture 8: Mediastinum Deck (4)
What seperate a the superior mediastinum from the inferior mediastinum?
The plane of Louis
Where is the anterior mediastinum, middle mediastinum and posterior mediastinum in relation to the heart ?
Anterior mediastinum - in front of heart
Middle mediastinum - contains heart
Posterior mediastinum - behind heart
All 3 are part of the inferior mediastinum
What features occur at the plane of Louis ?
- Ligamentum arteriosum runs through manubriosternal joint
- Marks the articulation of the 2nd costal cartilage to the sternum
- Marks the IVD between T4 and T5
- Bifurcation of the trachea
- Arch of aorta goes over the top
- Separates inferior and superior mediastinum
- Pulmonary trunk branches into two arteries to the lungs