when should suctionng be carried out (how often) and which ways can it be administered?
what is a suction catheter?
describe the step-by-step process of the suctioning procedure
1) explain to pt
2) check equipment is available
3) check wall suction on (right amount)
4) wash hands/gown up
5) prepare your kit (sterile)
6) preoxygenate pt for 1-2 mins
7) disconnect pt from ventilator or O2
8) suction (use technique from sim centre)
9) hyperoxygenate pt for 3 mins
10) flush catheter and repeat if necessary
11) reconnect pt to ventilator
12) clean up
what should the suctionng pressure be?
which hand remains sterile - dominant or non-dominant?
what should you always do with the pt prior to suctioning?
how long should the catheter be in the airway for?
describe nasotracheal suctioning
what are possible complications to suctioning?
what manual techniques can you perform on a ventilated pt?
describe manual hyperinflation
what are cautions and contraindications for manual hyperinflation?