Flashcards in Mitosis and Meiosis Deck (10):
How do you spell mitosis?
M- I- T-O-S-I-S
How do you spell meiosis?
What is mitosis?
Mitosis is a type of cell division, it is when a cell reproduces itself by splitting to form two genetically identical offspring.
What is mitosis for?
making new cells for growth and repair
What type of reproduction is mitosis?
a-sexual reproduction because there is NO VARIATION
Describe the process of mitosis.
1. cells get a signal to divide
2. The cell duplicates its DNA so there is one copy for each new cell.
3. The DNA is copied and form x-shaped chromosomes. Each arm of the chromosome is an exact duplicate of the other.
4. The chromosomes line up at the centre of the cell and cell fibres pull them apart. The two arms of each chromosomes go to opposite ends of the cell.
5. Membranes form around each of the sets of chromosomes- these become the nuclei of the two new cells.
6. Cytoplasm divides
What is Meiosis?
Meiosis is a type of cell division that produces cells with HALF the normal number of chromosomes- they produce 23 rather than 46.
What is meiosis for?
producing gametes- sperm and egg cells
What type of reproduction is meiosis?
sexual reproduction because the offspring are GENETICALLY VARIED