Flashcards in Motor Control Deck (4)
Degrees of freedom:
How are movements selected to achieve particular tasks
hard constraint: reflex
soft constraint: the easiest way to achieve a task (touch nose)
- synergies: e.g. rub stomach while patting
- movements we make are more efficient than movements we do not chose to make.
- straightness, comfort, jerky movement
Sequencing and timing
none of our actions occur in isolation- they are all sequences
how are order and timing sequences organized?
- spoonerisms: "you hissed all my mystery lectures"
- the action motor plan is already there: then something goes wrong.
- coarticulation: tulip or trip: plan of the word is already there before a word is spoken
- perceptual information is most important
Perceptual and motor integration
- movement informs/influences perception
- active touch vs. passive touch
- mirror neurons: monkey studies: neurons fire when you see someone else perform an action