Flashcards in Muscle Types Deck (10):
Importance of Red Muscle Tissue (3)
1. Thin layer under the skin
2. Develops when needed sustained swimming
3. Have lots of Myoglobin and Mitochondria
Importance of White Muscle Tissue (4)
1. Major type
2. Anaerobic Respiration
3. Energy by glycolysis
4. Glycogen can take serval hrs to recover
Importance of Pink Muscle Tissue (2)
1. Scup fish rich in this muscle
2. Common in Atlantic waters (over-fished)
What is special about sonic muscles in fish?
1. Fastest muscle in vertebrates
2. Strong Sonics attract mates
Where is the sonic muscles located?
Attached on gas bladder or nearby
The delaying or slowing of the physiological (or somatic) development of an organism
What are pseudobranchs and their function?
1. 1st gill arch
2. Need oxygen for proper eye function and provide oxygenated blood to eyes
What is the Rete Mirabile "wonderful net"? Function and Location?
1. Counter-current blood flow exchanger
2. Oxygen pressure and heat
3. Near Eyes and swim bladders
What is the function of Swim Bladder?