What is a Star Topology?
A network set out in the shape of a star, branching from one central hub to the outliers
Advantages of a Star Topology
- Easy to install and wire.
- No disruptions to the network when connecting or removing devices.
- Easy to detect faults and to remove parts
Disadvantages of a Star Topology
- Requires more cables
- If the hub fails then the nodes attached are disabled.
What is a Bus Topology?
A main run of cable with a terminator at each end. All nodes are connected to the cable.
Advantages of a Linear Bus Topology
- Easy to connect a computer
- Requires less cable
Disadvantages of a Linear Bus Topology
- Network shuts down if there is a break in the main cable.
- Terminators are required at both ends
- Difficult to identify the problem
What is a Ring topology?
A localised network joined by a central line that forms a loop
Advantages of a ring Topology?
- Information can flow both ways around the ring
- Easy to set up
Disadvantages of a ring Topology?
- Loop needs to be completed at one end
- A break in the cable brings the server down.
What is a Mesh Topology?
All computers are connected with eachother which requires a vast amount of cables