Flashcards in Neuro - Introduction Deck (21):
What is the bony structure surrounding the brain?
What is the bony structure surrounding the spinal cord?
How many angular degrees separate the horizontal plane from the coronal plane?
What type of muscle is innervated by fibers of the somatic nervous system?
What are the 3 major embryological subdivisions of the brain?
- rhombencephalon - most caudal subdivision and consists of: myelencephalon (medulla oblongata) and metencephalon (pons and cerebellum)
- mesencephalon - midbrain
- prosencephalon - cerebrum including diencephalon ("in-between" brain) and telencephalon (cerebral hemispheres and corpus striatum of the basal ganglia)
What are the minor subdivisions of the hindbrain?
- myelencephalon - medulla oblongata
- metencephalon - pons and cerebellum
What are the minor subdivisions of the forebrain?
- diencephalon - "in-between brain"
- telencephalon - cerebral hemispheres, corpus striatum of the basal ganglia
What are the ventricular cavities of each subdivision of the brain?
- spinal cord - central canal
- rhombencephalon - 4th ventricle
- midbrain - cerebral aqueduct
- diencephalon - 3rd ventricle
- telencephalon - lateral ventricles (1st and 2nd)
What is the structural and functional unit of the nervous system?
List the 12 cranial nerves by name and number.
CN I - olfactory
CN II - optic
CN III - oculomotor
CN IV - trochlear
CN V - trigeminal (ophthalmic, maxillary, and mandibular)
CN VI - abducens
CN VII - facial
CN VIII - vestibulocochlear
CN IX - glossopharyngeal
CN X - vagus
CN XI - accessory
CN XII - hypoglossal
What are the components of the brainstem?
Name the lobes of the cortex.
- frontal lobe
- occipital lobe
- temporal lobe
- parietal lobe
What are the borders of the frontal lobe?
lobe lies rostral to the central sulcus and superior to the lateral fissure
What are the borders of the occipital lobe?
lobe lies behind an imaginary line drawn from the parieto-occipital sulcus to the preoccipital notch
What are the borders of the temporal lobe?
lobe lies below the lateral fissure and an imaginary extension drawn caudally to the occipital lobe
What are the borders of the parietal lobe?
lobe occupies the remainder of the lateral surface not covered by another lobe
the axon (tract) courses and/or terminates on the same side as its cell body (nucleus)
the axon (tract) courses and/or terminates on the side opposite its cell body (nucleus)
the axon (tract) divides and courses and/or terminates on both sides
fibers ascend/descend as they cross