- a very big and powerful company or organization
- công ty lớn
- Anything that produces a competitor to EA or whoever’s the current industry behemoth is good news.
- a multinational corporate behemoth
- to produce an egg
- sự rụng trứng
- This process is called ovulation, and it usually occurs about halfway through your cycle, but it can occur earlier or later.
- The babies were created through a process called ovulation induction.
- relating to, having, or resembling a follicle or follicles
- có nang, như cái nén
- The first half of the menstrual cycle, called the follicular phase, begins with pulses of GnRH, about one pulse every ninety minutes.
- These flattened cells from the ovarian follicle and, therefore, called follicular cells.
- relating to, or involving the corpus luteum
- hoàng thể, thuộc lutein
- "See on this graph, you can see her luteal phase," he said.
- Women who smoke marijuana have shorter menstrual cycles and shorter luteal phases.
- to make people more willing to consider new and different policies, ideas, etc; to make people more radical in their political opinions
- làm cho trở nên cấp tiến
- Recent events have radicalized opinion on educational matters.
- He noted that stepped-up fighting in the tribal areas of Pakistan could further "radicalize" that nation.
- a statement that something will happen in the future, especially one made by somebody with religious or magic powers
- the power of being able to say what will happen in the future
- tài tiên tri, lời tiên tri
- to fulfil a prophecy (= make it come true)
- She was believed to have the gift of prophecy.
- the end or failure of an institution, an idea, a company, etc.
- sự cho thuê miếng đất, sự kết thúc của một tổ chức / ý tưởng / công ty
- That nobody really knows about his demise is a tragedy in itself.
- Your time is running out and wasting time on this issue will add to your certain demise in the next elections.
- any of the tubes that carry blood from all parts of the body towards the heart
- an amount of a particular quality or feature in something
- a particular style or manner
- tĩnh mạch, mạch, nguồn cảm hứng, lối, điệu
- The nurse was having trouble finding a vein in his arm.
- A number of other people commented in a similar vein.
- one of the large number of complicated and unexpected results that follow an action or a decision
- một trong nhiều hậu quả không mong đợi
- These changes are bound to have widespread social ramifications.
(hire in) droves (n)
- a large number of people or animals, often moving or doing something as a group
- đàn, đám đông
- People were leaving the countryside in droves to look for work in the cities.
- Business and population are fleeing in droves from the state.
- much too high
- quá cao, cắt cổ, đòi hỏi quá đáng
- exorbitant costs/fares/fees/prices/rents
- It's a good hotel but the prices are exorbitant.
- Prices are exorbitantly high in this shop.
- a group of people who are similar in some way, or who spend time together
- a group of people who were brought together by a sheriff (= an officer of the law) in order to help him catch a criminal
- đội cảnh sát, đột vũ trang, nhóm bạn
- a little posse of helpers
- Oil will remain high until at least January 2009 when the Bush posse is removed from 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.
- fashionable and expensive in a way that is intended to impress people
- trưng diện, phô trương
- a swanky new hotel
- It seems 'swanky' to say so, but once you get over the first shock you go on chewing biscuits and tobacco when the shells are bursting all round.
- the feeling of being extremely sorry for something wrong or bad that you have done
- ăn năn, hối hận
- I felt guilty and full of remorse.
- She felt no remorse at leaving them without notice.
- He was filled with remorse for not believing her.
- He seemed genuinely remorseful for what he had done.
- not friendly towards other people
- khó gần, không cởi mở
- And one builds a family by being welcoming and approachable, not mysterious or stand-offish.
- When I got back to pick her up they were eating lunch and she was a bit stand-offish with me at first.
- the act or policy of separating people of different races, religions or sexes and treating them in a different way
- the act of separating people or things from a larger group
- sự phân biệt, sự phân ly
- racial/religious segregation
- the segregation of smokers and non-smokers in restaurants
- done or achieved in a polite or friendly way and without arguing
- thân thiện, thân tình
- an amicable relationship
- In spite of their disagreement they parted on amicable terms.
- The policeman chatted amicably to the bystanders.
- to raise your shoulders and then drop them to show that you do not know or care about something
- nhún vai thể hiện không quan tâm
- Sam shrugged and said nothing.
- ‘I don't know,’ Anna replied, shrugging her shoulders.
- soft and wet
- mềm, ướt át
- The bathroom design insured that that if a shower was taken before bed, the entire floor would remain squishy for hours.
- I keep wondering if that transparent dome is 'squishy' or what!
tuck in (v)
- to push, fold or turn the ends or edges of clothes, paper, etc. so that they are held in place or look neat
- đút vào, thu vào, nhét vào
- She tucked up her skirt and waded into the river.
- The sheets should be tucked in neatly (= around the bed).
gig line (n)
- a performance by musicians playing popular music or jazz in front of an audience; a similar performance by a comedian
- a job, especially a temporary one
- công việc tạm thời, vở diễn
- to do a gig
- a gig as a basketball coach
- consisting of a number of different items that are combined into a single thing
- vali, từ kết hợp, có tính tổng hợp
- a portmanteau course
- ‘Depression’ is a portmanteau condition.
- not in perfect condition; bad in some way
- not certain
- không chắc chắn, không dứt khoát
- That meat smells a bit iffy to me.
- The weather looks slightly iffy.
- to make a substance or place dirty or no longer pure by adding a substance that is dangerous or carries disease
- to influence people's ideas or attitudes in a bad way
- làm ô uế, làm bẩn, làm hỏng, làm nhiễm bệnh
- The drinking water has become contaminated with lead.
- They were accused of contaminating the minds of our young people.
- a large group of people or things of the same kind
- nhóm, đàn, bầy (con gái), đàn chim
- a bevy of beauties (= beautiful young women)
- Why, she had a bevy of suitors, but she knew about them too, ya know?
- to move around quickly in a circle; to make something do this
- cuốn đi, xoáy đi
- A long skirt swirled around her ankles.
- He took a mouthful of water and swirled it around his mouth.
- to make a first public appearance
- to present a new product or advertising campaign to the market
- trình diễn lần đầu
- The ballet will debut next month in New York.
- They will debut the products at the trade show.
- They have promised to debut the software by the end of the year.
- a mass of snow, ice and rock that falls down the side of a mountain
- tuyết lở, loạt dồn dập
- He was killed in an avalanche while skiing.
- We received an avalanche of letters in reply to our advertisement.
- peaceful and beautiful; perfect, without problems
- bình dị, thôn dã, hoàn hảo không tì vết
- a house set in idyllic surroundings
- The cottage (nhà tranh) sounds idyllic.
- a house idyllically set in wooded grounds
- not natural or relaxed; too formal
- không tự nhiên, quá trang trọng
- We made stilted conversation for a few moments.
- I shall type in stilted sentences, where humorous.
- a person who, usually for religious reasons, lives a very simple life alone and does not meet or talk to other people.
- nhà tu khổ hạnh
- In our next hour, Christiane Amanpour takes a rare look inside the so-called hermit kingdom.
- If you call a hermit crab a conch, it's not pedantic to point out the error.
- soak (meat, for example) in a marinade
- ướp thịt bằng nước ướp, ướp
- Studies show that exercise helps your brain marinate in powerful, positive endorphins.
- He let the idea marinate for a while and realized that it really wasn't all that bad.
- the eponymous character of a book, play, film/movie, etc. is the one mentioned in the title
- người được lấy tên đặt cho một tổ chức
- Don Quixote, eponymous hero of the great novel by Cervantes
- The one whose name was used to designate the year is known as eponymous, meaning “giving his name to.”
- the stomach or the area around the stomach
- dạ dày
- Mum, my tummy hurts.
- a tummy bug/upset (= an illness when you feel sick or vomit )
- There's a baby growing in your mummy's tummy.
- the end of a coat or shirt sleeve at the wrist
- the bottom of the leg of a pair of trousers/pants that has been folded over on the outside
- a light hit with an open hand
off the cuff: without previous thought or preparation
- cổ tay áo, gấu quần
- a collar and cuffs of white lace
- to give somebody a friendly cuff
- I'm just speaking off the cuff here—I haven't seen the results yet.