Flashcards in Notes From Lorenzo's Oil Deck (15):
In the Movie, What Did the doctors try first in the Trial Studies?
1. Change the diet (high carb, low fat)
2.Immunosuppressive therapy (chemotherapy)
What Changes were apparent in Lorenzo's family?
1.Their lives were dominated to seeking a cure
2. They wanted to find unconventional treatment
What is the Significance of the Polish Rats?
1. Diet modification could lower certain fat levels
-Fatty acid manipulation
What were the Oils?
1. Oleic Acid (olive oil)
2. Erusic Acid (Rape Seed Oil)
How was the Oil administered?
1. Through the NG tube
What were the oils made from?
1. Rape seed extract taken from Canola
2. Oleic acid is taken from olive oil
What is the Inheritance Pattern?
1. The disease goes from Mother to Son
-The mother is the carrier but it is only expressed in Males
How did Lorenzo Improve after the Oil
1. He didn't need suctioning
2. No seizures
3. Breathing was improved
4. He was able to communicate through blinking
At the end of the movie, Lorenzo's dad gets an idea for a cure from what?
1. The puppies
Who is the Lorenzo's Rat?
1. His aunt DD who was also a carrier of the disease
Why Could the oil be tested on the aunt?
1. She was also a carrier of the disease
What did the Spigits (sink) represent?
1. The spigit was the intake of LONG CHAIN FATTY ACIDS
What did the drain represent?
1. The enzymes that break down the long chain fatty acids
What diet was Lorenzo placed on?
1. Anything that restricted the long-chain fatty acids