Flashcards in Operating System Deck (8):
What is an operating system?
Set of instructions that control the running of the computer
What are functions of an operating system?
- file management
- memory management
- input/output management
- resource allocation
- error reporting
- interpreters user commands/HCI
What is file management?
- creating/deleting files
- organised and tracks files
- control access, editing and deletion
What is memory management?
- operating system allocates suitable storage location in computers memory
- loads programs into memory ensuring each program has the memory required to run
What is input/output management?
- controls all devices attached to the computer
- performs transfer of data between peripherals and memory
- communicates with processor and peripherals
What is resource allocation?
- allocated programs, their required memory and CPU time
- ensures processor is kept constantly busy
- only one task can be carried out at any one time by a single processor
What is error reporting?
The operating system lets the user know if any mistakes have occurred