What is the relationship between zang fu and VITAL SUBSTANCES?
- Heart - governs blood
- Liver - stores blood
- Lungs - govern qi & influence body fluids
- Spleen - governs gu qi, holds blood, and influences body fluids
- Kidneys - store essence and influence body fluids
What is the relationship between zang fu and SENSE ORGANS?
- Liver - eyes
- Heart - tongue
- Spleen - mouth
- Lungs - nose
- Kidneys - ears
* The Back Shu point of the Yin organs affect the relevant sense organ *
What is the relationship between zang fu and SPIRITUAL ASPECTS?
- Liver - Etheral Soul (HUN)
- Heart - Mind (SHEN)
- Spleen - Intellect (YI)
- Lungs - Corporeal Soul (PO)
- Kidneys - Will Power (ZHI)
What are the EXTERNAL MANIFESTATIONS of the zang fu?
- Liver - nails
- Heart - complexion
- Spleen - lips
- Lungs - body hair
- Kidneys - hair
What is the relationship between zang fu and BODY FLUIDS?
- Liver - tears
- Heart - sweat
- Spleen - saliva
- Lungs - snivel (nasal mucous)
- Kidneys - spittle (thick & turbid)
What is the relationship between zang fu and CLIMATES?
- Liver - wind
- Heart - heat
- Spleen - damp
- Lungs - dryness
- Kidneys - cold
What is the relationship between zang fu and EMOTIONS?
- Liver - anger
- Heart - joy
- Spleen - pensiveness
- Lungs - worry (saddness)
- Kidneys - fear
What is the relationship between zang fu and SOUNDS?
- Liver - shouting
- Heart - laughin
- Spleen - singing
- Lungs - crying
- Kidneys - goraning
What is the relationship between zang fu and ODORS?
- Liver - rancid
- Heart - scorched
- Spleen - fragrant, sweetish
- Lungs - rotten, rank
- Kidneys - putrid
What is the relationship between zang fu and TISSUES?
- Liver - sinews
- Heart - blood vessels
- Spleen - muscles
- Lungs - skin
- Kidneys - bones
What are the functions of the YANG organs (fu)?
- they do not store
- constantly filled and emptied
- transform and refine food
- extract pure essences from food to store in yin organs
- excrete waste products
- recieve, move, transform, digest, excrete
What are the fucntions of the YIN organs (zang)?
- store vital substances - qi, blood, essence, body fluids
- they store only pure, refined substances which they recieve from fu after transformation from food
What are the functions of the heart?
- governs blood (gu qi transforms to blodo here)
- pumps and circulates blood
- controls blood vessels
- manifests in complexion
- houses the mind (shen)
- related to joy
- opens into the tongue
- controls sweat
- involved in menstruation
What does a long thin crack on the midline of the tongue imply?
Profile for weak HT constitution and tendency towards emotional problems.
How does the HT govern blood?
- gu qi is transformed into blood in the HT
- HT controls the circulation of blood
- HT-blood influences menstrution indirectly (controls the downward movement of qi and blood)
- HT-blood houses the mind (shen)
Describe the 4 ways HT manifests in complexion.
- Dull Pale - HT blood deficiency
- Bright White - HT yang deficiency
- Purplish or Dark - HT blood stasis
- Red - HT heat
What are the 5 HT-mind fucntions?
- mental activity (emotions)
The heart loathes _____?
The heart controls _____?
What is the function of the LV?
- ensures smoth flow of qi (takes care of everyone)
- stores blood (regulates volume of blood in the body, regulates menstration, and LV blood moisten eyes and sinews)
What does the LV control?
What does the LV manifest into?
What does the LV open into?
What does the LV house (the spirit name)?
Hun (Etheral Soul)
What emotion affect the LV?
Anger, rage, irritability and stress
Describe LV-blood and menstrutation correlations.
- LV-blood normal = regualr periods
- LV-blood deficient = scanty periods or ammenorrhoea
- LV-blood stasis = painful periods
- LV-blood heat = heavy periods
What is the # one LV-blood deficiency manifesting in eyes?
NOURISH LV TO INCREASE EYE FUNCTION
How does LV ensure smooth flow of Qi?
- Fascilitates descending of LU Qi
- Fascilitates ascending of SP Qi
- Fascilitates descending of ST Qi
- Fascilitates descending of SI/LI Qi
Descirbe the effect of LV and LV-blood on sinews.
- normal - supple sinews
- deficiency - cramps, numbness, tingling
- stasis - stiffening, rigidity, pain
- wind - tremors, convulsions, parkinsons
Describe the effects of LV on the eyes.
- LV-blood normal - good vision
- LV-blood deficiency - blurred vision, floaters
- LV yin deficiency - dry eyes
- LV-blood stasis - painful eyeball
- LV yang rising - watery eyes
- LV fire - bloodshot eyes, red, swollen, painful
- LV wind - eyeball moving
Whart is the taste of the LV?
Whart is the climate of the LV?
Whart is the sound of the LV?
The LV influnces _____ and _____.
Rising & Growth
LV Qi promotes mooth flow of Qi in whole body
The LV loathes _____.
Whart is the smell of the LV?
What are the functions of the LU?
- governs qi and respiration
- controls channels & blood vessels
- controls the diffusing & descending of qi
- regulates all physilogical activities
- regulates the water passages
- controls the skin & couli space
The LU manifests in the _____.
The LU houses the _____.
Corporeal Soul (PO)
The LU govern the _____.
The LU opens into the _____.
What are nasal/breathing pathologies associated with LU?
- LU heat - phlegm (yellow/green mucous)
- dryness - dry mucous in nasal cavity
The LU are affected by what 3 emotions?
The LU Controls the _____ to distribute blood and qi to extremities. What point is this associated with?
- Hundred Vessels
- LU 9
The LU loathe _____.
How do the LU regulate the water passages?
- diffusing body fluids to space between skin & muscles (cou li space)
- descending body fluids to kidneys and bladder
What are the fucntions of the SP?
- governs transformation & transportation (main digestive organ in TCM)
- controls ascending of Qi (prolapse)
- controls blood (makes blood from Gu Qi - happens in HT) & holds blood in vessels
- controls muscles & 4 limbs
The SP manifests in the _____.
The SP controls _____ (body fluid).
The reason people would complain of tiredness and fatigue is becasue the SP will control the _____.
Muscles & 4 Limbs
The SP action to transform & transport food-qi is supported by _____.
The SP houses the _____.
The SP loates _____.
What are the functions of the KD?
- store essence
- govern birth, growth, reproduction & development
- produce masrow and fill up the brain + control bones
- govenr water
- controls the reception of qi
- ROOT OF ALL PHYSILOGICAL PROCESSES IN THE BODY
What is Tian Gui?
- infused in menstural blood &moo sperm
- special type of Qi
How to KD control water?
- gate that controls urination
- influence lower burner excredtion of fluids
- KD-yang influences intenstines capactity for separating and transforming fluids
- recieve fluids from LU and send fluids to LU
- KD-yang provices heat for SP to transform & transport fluids
KD opens into the _____.
What is the Gate of Life?
Ming Men Fire = motive force behind all functional activities of the body
- root of origional qi
- source of fire for all internal organs
- warms the lower burner and bladder