Flashcards in Plains indians Deck (7)
Can you describe the bands?
- Most people in a band were related to each other, they were led by chiefs.
- Council members agreed everything the band did.
- The survival and protection of the band as a whole was seen as more important than the individuals within it.
What are chiefs?
- Chiefs were chosen because of their wisdom and skills as warriors.
- They were rarely chiefs for life.
- They did not actually have to be obeyed.
Can you describe the tribes ?
- Bands in the same tribe will always support each other.
- Tribal meetings would be held each year to arrange; marriages, trade horses and discuss issues.
- Some tribes were part of larger groups called nations.
What are warrior societies?
- The best warriors from each band formed its warrior society.
- They supervised hunting and protected their bands from attacks.
- Bands councils would always consult them before they made any decisions.
What are the Indians beliefs on nature?
- Everything in nature had a spirit and these spirits could help humans or harm them.
- Humans were part of nature and should work with the spirits of nature.
- They did not try to tame or control nature.
- They could contact the spirit world through visions and special ritual dances.
What are the Indians beliefs on land and property?
- Plains Indians tribes had sacred areas for example Sioux had black hill or Dakota
- No one owned the land and it could not be bought or sold, this went against the white Americans that came later on.
- Mining and farming was seen as disrespectful.