What is the supreme law of the land?
▪ the Constitution
What does the Constitution do?
▪ sets up the government
▪ defines the government
▪ protects basic rights of Americans
The idea of self-government is in the first three words of the Constitution. What are these words?
▪ We the People
What is an amendment?
▪ a change (to the Constitution) ▪ an addition (to the Constitution)
What do we call the first ten amendments to the Constitution?
▪ the Bill of Rights
What is one right or freedom from the First Amendment?*
▪ speech ▪ religion ▪ assembly ▪ press ▪ petition the government
How many amendments does the Constitution have?
▪ twenty-seven (27)
What did the Declaration of Independence do?
▪ announced our independence (from Great Britain) ▪ declared our independence (from Great Britain) ▪ said that the United States is free (from Great Britain)
What are two rights in the Declaration of Independence?
▪ life ▪ liberty ▪ pursuit of happiness
What is freedom of religion?
▪ You can practice any religion, or not practice a religion.
What is the economic system in the United States?*
▪ capitalist economy ▪ market economy
What is the “rule of law”?
▪ Everyone must follow the law. ▪ Leaders must obey the law. ▪ Government must obey the law. ▪ No one is above the law.