Principles of Vehicle Extrication Flashcards
What are the phases of extrication?
- Hazard control & incident stabilization
- Gaining access & patient assessment
- Patient packaging
What is extrication?
The removal and treatment of a patient trapped by machinery or equipment.
What is disentanglement?
The manipulation of vehicle or machinery components to provide for the removal of packaged patients.
What is rescue?
The removal of a patient from an untenable or unhealthy situation or atmosphere.
What types of respiratory protection is used at rescue or extrication emergencies?
- SAR - supplied air respirator
- APR - air purifying respirator
- PAPR - powered air purifying respirator
- SCBA - self contained breathing aparatus
What are the 4 priorities of scene safety?
- Your safety
- Your partner’s or crew’s safety
- Bystanders’ safety
- Patient’s safety
What are the 4 priorities at extrication emergencies?
- Life safety - ongoing assessment of hazards and implementation of NIMS/ICS
- Incident stabilization - ongoing scene control, vehicle stabilization, elimination of ignition and other energy sources, fire protection, and hazmat control as needed
- Property & environmental conservation - the use of nondestructive methods wherever possible, protection of unsecured property after the incident is controlled, and implementation of containment strategies
- After action review - post incident analysis for continuous improvement
What are the 4 priorities for stabilization?
What are the roles & responsibilities for extrication emergencies?
- Law Enforcement
- Fire Suppression - remember that NFPA requirement is to have at least 1 person in full PPE, including SCBA, with a charged hoseline
- Others - utility companies, state or local DOT, towing and recovery companies
What skills are necessary for rescue personnel to perform extrication safely?
- Resist the urge to rush in
- Perform a thorough size up to understand the situation, recognize hazards, and determine safety needs
- Devise and implement a plan
- Make informed decisions