Flashcards in Puberty and adolescent health Deck (20)
What happens during puberty (pathway) ?
Hypothalamus increases secretion of GnRH so that pulsatile secretion of LH and FSH occurs.
This results in sufficient sex steroid production to result in the secondary sexual development.
What staging is used for puberty?
Females usually enter puberty before males - true or false ?
Average age for female to enter puberty
Average age for male to enter puberty
11 years 6 months
Tanner stage 1 - girls
- No signs of pubertal development
Tanner stage 2-3 - girls
- breast development OR/AND
- pubic or axillary hair
Tanner stage 4-5 - girls
- Started periods +
- signs of pubertal development
Tanner stage 1 - boys
- No signs of pubertal development +
- High voice
Tanner stage 2-3 - boys
- Slight deepening of voice AND/OR
- Pubic or axillary hair growth AND/OR
- Enlargement or testes or penis
Tanner stage 4-5 - boys
- Voice fully broken
- Facial hair
- Adult size of penis with pubic and axillary hair
What does FSH do in females?
Works on the follicle to ultimately stimulate oestrogen
What are the 3 things to look for in female puberty?
What is the first sign of puberty in a female?
When does menarche usually begin in relation to breast development?
2-3 years after breast development
Precocious puberty (female)- what is it
Puberty occurring abnormally early - less than 8
Pubertal delay (female)
No breast development by the age of 13
Female growth spurts are usually after males - true or false?
- female growth spurt usually 12 years
- male growth spurt usually 14 years
Precocious puberty (males)
Pubertal development occurring abnormally early (less than 9)