Flashcards in Sikhism Deck (14)
When did Sikhism originate?
It was founded by Guru Nanak in the 15th century in the Northern Indian state of Punjab
Is Sikhism polytheistic or monotheistic?
- They believe in one God
What is the Adi Granth?
The Sikh holy book to which all 10 Guru's provided their teachings for future Sikhs to follow. This book would become the 11th and final Guru known as the "Guru Granth Sahib"
How many Guru's are there
- 10 human Gurus
- The Guru Granth Sahib
Where is their central place of worship located?
The Golden Temple at Amritsar
- Located in Punjab, India
What is a Gurdwara?
A Sikh temple of worship which houses a copy of the "Guru Granth Sahib"
What is the Mul Mantra?
The words that open the morning prayer of Sikhs.
- They are the first words spoken by Sikhs every morning
What are the central beliefs of Sikhism?
2. The Reality of the World
3. Spiritual Achievement in this life
4. Union of spiritual and worldly lives
6. Good deeds, not rituals
7. Equality and Human Dignity
8. A Just Society
How many types of prayers do Sikhs perform?
There are two types of prayer
1. Ardas (Prayer during ceremonies)
2. Meditation (using mantras)
How are Sikhs called to God?
Through two ways:
1. Gurbani (listen to hymns and Ardas from Sikh sacred scriptures)
2. Mukti (meditate on the name of God)
What is the "Waheguru?"
A type of mantra that is done during meditation to reflect back on God and their lives
What is the Khalsa?
- Khalsa's are Sikhs which have undergone the sacred Amrit Ceremony and are warriors to the faith
What physical articles do all Khalsa members wear?
There are six items:
1. Kesh (long hair)
2. Dastar (the turban)
3. Kangha (Comb)
4. Kara (Steel bracelet)
5. Kachha (Pants)
6. Kirpan (Ceremonial Sword)