What were the 3 Stages to the Pilgrimage of Grace ?
- The Lincolnshire Rising
- The Pilgrimage of Grace
- The Cumberland Rising
What were the causes of the Lincolnshire Rising ?
- Work of three government commissions operating in the country
- They were working on dissolving the smaller monasteries, collecting subsidy, inspecting quality of the clergy and enforcing new religious laws
- Rumours they were after gold, jewels and extra taxes
What were the events of the Lincolnshire Rising ?
- Moved across the country
- Chancellor of the Bishop of Lincoln was murdered
- 10,000 people gathered at Lincoln
- Several lists of articles, combating grievances of the gentry and commoners were drawn up
Who led the Lincolnshire Rebellion ?
- Led by shoemaker, Nicholas Melton
- Leadership went onto the gentry, priests and even armed monks
What was the outcome of the Lincolnshire Rebellion ?
- Duke of Suffolks army draws near
- Gentry ran and sought forgiveness
- Commoners collapsed into confusion
- Rest of the rebels were sent home
What caused the POG rising ?
- News of the Lincolnshire rising spread quickly
- Reached ears of Robert Aske, a Yorkshire lawyer
- He called on men to maintain Holy Church
What were the events of the POG rising ?
- Aske had an army of 30,000 men
- Rebels went to York and Pontefract
- Lord Darcy handed over Pontefract Castle
Why was Aske a good leader in POG ?
-Aske made sure all goods were paid for and no murders were committed
How did the Government deal with the POG rising ?
- Government caught off guard
- Henry delegated Duke of Norfolk to meet rebels
What was the outcome of the Duke of Norfolk meeting the POG rebels ?
- Rebels presented their 5 articles
- Truce signed, under which Sir Ralph Euerker and Robert Bowes were to meet the king
- Henry offered no concessions, but to pardon all but 10 ringleaders
What did Henry give Norfolk permission to do to the rebels in the POG ?
- Met to finalise demands in the 24 articles
- Henry gave Norfolk permission to grant pardon and the promise of parliament to discuss more of the issues the rebels had raised
What was Aske’s condition to agreeing to Norfolks promise about parliament ?
-The monasteries must not be suppressed before parliament met
What caused the Cumberland Rising ?
-Sir Francis Bilgod remained unconvinced of the governments sincerity
What were the events of the Cumberland Rising ?
- Bilgod planned to capture Hull and Scarborough and force Norfolk to act as a go between
- This collapsed in a few days
- Bilgod fled and was arrested
- Commoners lanced own unsuccessful attack on Carlisle
- Henry had no intention of honouring the rebels terms
What was the outcome of the Cumberland Rising ?
- Commoners, gentry and nobility were executed
- 178 DEATHS= included Aske, Lord Darcy and Bigod
- Council of the North reorganised to ensure greater royal control
What were caused of the whole POG Rebellion ?
- Dissolution of Monasteries
- Defence of Faith
- Opposition to Cromwell’s polices
- Food Shortages and Agrarian Issues