Flashcards in States Of Matter Y11 Deck (11)
What happens in evaporation?
• most energetic water particles turn to gas and escape the water
∴ the average KE of the remaining molecules has decreased ∴ the temperature of the puddle decreased
This is why sweating cools you
What is Brownian motion?
Particles are constantly moving around randomly
What is Boyle's law?
• if temp and mass constant then pressure and volume are inversely proportional
P1 x V1 = P2 x V2
• straight line through origin
What is the relationship between temperature and pressure?
• if volume and mass are constant, as pressure increases, temperature increases
P1 / T1 = P2 / T2 (only when temp in K)
• if gas is heated, then particles gain KE ∴ move around faster. ∴ will collide w container walls more ∴ pressure will increase
How do gases exert pressure?
• av KE is proportional to temp in K
• the gas molecules move around and hit container walls
• this causes a small force
• this causes pressure (force/area)
What is the arrangement of particles in a solid?
• close together and regular pattern
• vibrate on the spot
What is the arrangement of particles in a liquid?
• close together
• random arrangement
• move around each other
What is the arrangement of particles in a gas?
• far apart and random arrangement
• move quickly in all directions
What is absolute 0? What happens here?
• -273 °C, 0 K
• particles have no KE ∴ stationary ∴ exert no pressure on container
How do you work out temperature in Kelvin?
Temp in K = temp in Celsius + 273