Flashcards in Strengths / Weaknesses Deck (9)
Outreach STEM Bridge program
Interest: PROMYS transformed me
Want to give back to next gen
Spin: MTCs easier than thought
Spin2: Research weekend model
Spin3: PROMYS 4
Spin4: work math into FIRST Robotics / Odyssey of the Mind / etc. activities.
Service/community engagement Strategic Plan:
Interesting: talked w/ many at ToastMasters (use in senior seminars)
Spin1: CUR Advocacy strategies, CUR exemplars of getting companies to sponsor UR projects
Spin2: PicMath / Re-connect examples, next steps to get into.
Spin3: Ideas to sell to industries: ur builds skills, like internships, etc. CUR exemplars for business sponsored UR projects like UNO-based internships
(Sought foundation funding)
Community engagement Strategic Plan:
*. Science center / Zoo
Weak: not much xp
Spin: Rabbit population models using Fibanacci / exponentials
Spin 2: Golden ratios of arms vs forearms/etc, applied to animals
Spin 3: Math talks @ Strategic Air & Space Center. NASA trajectories, lasers for atmosphere study
STEM infrastructure strategic plan:
* STEM learning technology / Online
Info: UNO has interdisciplinary online program
Me: piloted good active math online model, still flaws
Spin: my experience is very deep, blending adobe connect or ITV for active IBL classes with videos for efficiency / flipped style.
Spin2: Easy to do better than mainstream, could lead
Geneseo 33% teachers
Founded MTC, was easy w/ my skills (IBL, math), background (community building, inspiring transformative teaching, teachers like to be treated like college faculty)
UR as model from CURQ: lit, implement/study, reflect, iterate
Interdisciplinary- STEM Strategic plan
• My research is just in math
• Spin1: Numerical ranges have some app.s in physics / quantum cryptoraphy, which I’d like to explore (starting with UR preojcts)
• Spin2: pedagogy and UR support structure initiatives have brought me to working across disciplines. E.g. MCB, CBC, CUR computer science. Discussion at UA of creating an office of UR to support creative activities in arts & humanities.
• Spin3: CUR interactions led to creation of modelling workshop & panel on lab vs nonlab UR. And Ed UR.
• They have Noyce ($1.4M) but not much else.
• Spin: I don’t have deep experience, but I do have experience with several (IUSE, Noyce, HHMI, S-STEM) and know people who have experience with more (McNair/Trio)
o NSF S-STEM: scholarships. Included research-readiness
o Noyce: UNO has experience! Can be used to support scholarships, MTCs, and undergrad or masters-level teacher training
o HHMI: need to be invited? Pre-proposals are open? Has UNO been invited?
o McNair: prepare under-represented / disadvantaged participants for doctoral studies through UR/etc.
o Trio / Upward Bound: encourage K-12 to pursue STEM college. summer programs, exposure to university research; pre-UR, under-rep, etc.
o Trio / Talent Search: encourage college
• Spin2: I have plans for a massive NSF-IUSE IBL Communities grant
• Spin3: My NSF-DMS grant supports UR in REU-style. Could do REU @ UNO
Weak: have not led
Spin: leading my first MTC was easier than expected (3a+5b etc)
Spin 2: (a*b)*c w/ a*b=a+b\pm ab variant from my AA IBL book was used in a MC. Easy ideas!
Spin 3: modular arithmetic, re-discover Z_3[i] frobenius map
Spin4: dead poets society