Flashcards in The Brain and its Functions Deck (17):
What are the functions of the frontal lobe? (4)
1. Socially acceptable behavior
2. Long term memory storage
3. Higher level thinking skills
4. Understanding the meaning of words
What is the function of the primary motor cortex?
Movement of the skeletal muscles
What are the functions of the somatosensory cortex of the parietal lobe? (2)
1. Sensations of pain, temperature, and touch
2. Sensory processing and integration
What are the functions of the parietal lobe? (2)
1. Visual spacing processing
2. Spatial mapping
What is the function of the occipital lobe?
What are the functions of the temporal lobe? (4 - hint: 3 of the functions are senses)
4. Long term memory storage (including recognition and understanding of language)
What is the function of the hippocampus? (part of the temporal lobe)
Long term memory storage
What are the functions of the cerebellum? (2)
1. Receives information from sensory systems and coordinates movement
2. Motor control, attention, language, contributes to coordination and precision of movement, balance
What are the functions of the diencephalon (in general)?
Activities relating directly or indirectly to visceral activities by way of other brain regions
What are the functions of the thalamus?
Sensory perception and regulation of motor functions and controls sleep and awake states of conciencessness. Relay station for incoming sensory information
What are the functions of the hypothalamus? (5)
1. Involved in mediation of endocrine, autonomic, and behavioral functions
2. Temperature regulation
3. Control food and water intake
4. Sexual behavior and reproduction
5. Location of the limbic system
What are the functions of the amygdala?
Emotional behavior and motivation
What are the functions of the epithalamus?
Involved in circadian rhythms (secretion of melatonin), regulation of motor pathways and emotions (connects the limbic system to other parts of the brain)
What is the general function of the brain stem?
Controls life supporting autonomic functions
What is the function of the midbrain?
Controls reflex centers of the eye
What are the functions of the medulla oblongata? (2)
1. Controls autonomic nervous system activity (regulation of respiration, heart rate, digestion)
2. Regulation of crucial involuntary visceral activities