Flashcards in Threats to the Faith and Apostolic Response Deck (18)
How should we study the church fathers?
They must be examined within their historical context
During the time of the church fathers, the church had begin to establish two things?
1. A foundational basis of doctrinal belief
2. Convictions regarding church practice
What two early threats called for a defense of the faith?
Persecution and heresy
What were the two marks of a true martyrdom?
1. Lacking a pursuit of martyrdom
2. A steadfast refusal to recant the faith regardless of the consequences
What are 4 considerations that past persecutions have to do with us?
1. Parallel with our culture (displaying our faith and standing for truth)
2. Sustained the church
3. Importance of genuine belief
4. Reminder of God's faithfulness
What are the 4 views of the origin of orthodoxy?
1. Competing orthodoxy
2. Evolutionary orthodoxy
3. Developmental orthodoxy
4. Continualist orthodoxy
Define competing orthodoxy
Competing views battled until the reign of Constantine when one faction won and the others were relegated to heretical status
Define evolutionary orthodoxy
Provides a demarcation between the simple, faith teachings of Jesus in the NT and those added by later theologians who consulted and complicated the teaching into orthodoxy
Define developmental orthodoxy
Contends that orthodoxy is consistent with Scripture, but that certain things are unclear and were fully developed later through the course of church debate
Define continualist orthodoxy
Affirms that doctrinal teaching on faith and practice already present in the Scriptures is merely rearticulated and passed down via church history as issues and deviant views arise
What were the 2 most prominent concerns (heresy) during the Patristic period?
Trinity and Christology
What are 5 reasons for studying the church fathers?
1. Foundational doctrines were articulated with precision
2. Church functionality in an antagonistic context
3. Models asking the right questions
4. Heretical views of the past are still alive today
5. This is our heritage
Orthodoxy may be best understood as a current running alongside the shores of what 2 opposing heretical positions?
What are the 2 catalysts of heresy?
Authority and Hermeneutics
What are the 3 subsequent moves by the church due to the threat that Marcion posed to orthodox Christianity?
1. Development of the canon
2. Further enhancement of ministerial hierarchy
3. Development of creeds
What is the prevailing view of who the apostolic fathers were?
Clement, Ignatius, Polycarp, the Didache, the Epistle of Barnaba, and the Shepherd of Hermas
What two 2 things set the basic framework for the Catholic Church's position on the Lord's Supper?
1. The Eucharist's elevation of priority (Ignatius)
2. Sacramental theology (Augustine)