Flashcards in Topics 20-21 (brain chemistry) Deck (14):
What is the difference between Clinical neuroscience and Psychiatry?
Clinical neuroscience looks at the disorders of the nervous system.
Psychiatry looks at the disorders of the mind.
What is Chemical imbalance (in the brain)?
impairment in the brain’s neurotransmitter system that can be linked to mood disorders
How can we explain the concept "Sedentary lifestyle"?
our bodies spend most of the time sitting
What is the definition of Neurotransmitters?
Also, give 3 examples.
the chemicals which allow the transmission of signals from one neuron to the next across synapses. Examples: dopamine, glutamine and serotonin
What is the definition of Clinical trials?
experiments or observations done in clinical research
What is the definition of Clinical depression?
a mental disorder characterized by at least two weeks of low mood that is present across most situations
Give 3 examples of Cognitive functions
What are 3 benefits of exercise?
2. enhanced cognitive function
3. encourages growth of new brain cells
List 5 side-effects of Psychiatric drugs
1. weight loss
2. weigh gain
4. emotional blunting
5. loss of libido
Sunlight deprivation may cause
1. seasonal affective disorder
2. decrease in serotonin-based signaling
Physical inactivity takes a toll on our
1. hearts => cardiovascular disease
2. brains => depression
Give 3 treatment options for depression
1. Medication (psychiatric drugs)
2. Exposure to simulated sunlight
3. Exercise (brisk walking)
Describe 3 methods to prevent depression
1. Exercise (brisk walking) => less sitting
2. Healthy diet => less sugar
3. Sociable (face time with loved ones) => less rumination