Flashcards in Unit 6 Deck (5)
Why did Pittsburgh become the center of the U.S. steel industry?
1. Steel industry needed RR's and Pittsburgh was a center for RR's
2. All resources for steel production were nearby (iron ore, water, etc.)
3. Pittsburgh had a large immigrant population to work in the steel mills.
What were the Benefits of RR's for American society?
1. Improved travel and trade
2. Established RR time (time zones)
3. Unified the country (travel and communication)
controlling resources, manufacturing, and distributors (controlling the means of production
merging with other companies; or taking over other companies that make the same products