Flashcards in Urban - KQ1 (characteristics) Deck (7):
What are the general characteristics?
- Large population (dense) = 2000-10,000
- Extensive area of built up/developed land
- Large range of services = services/manufacturing over agriculture
The rise in the proportion of a population living in urban areas
What are the elements of the urbanisation process?
- Shift in economy from farming and primary sector to services/manufacturing (secondary/tertiary/quaternary)
- Concentrated/dense population
- Urban sprawl
What are the types of urban change?
RURAL-URBAN = over 50% in urban, massive growth
MEDC-LEDC = fastest rates of urbanisation in developing world (china, india)
SHIFT IN SIZE = rapid urbanisation = urban sprawl = give rise to urban areas
Define a megacity
A city or urban agglomeration with a population of 10 million or more inhabitants
What are the environmental factors affecting land use pattern?
LOCATION OF RIVER/COASTLINE
- Aesthetic value for residents/tourists
- Easy for transport (eg Guangdong in China)
- However = liable to flooding (should be left as natural ecosystem)
- Flat land = heavy industry (factories)