Jacques-Louis David. OATH OF THE HORATII. 1784-1785
- Painted in Italy just before the revolution
- On the left there are Roman warriors
- They just gave an oath to fight to the death.
- The columns are Tuscan with medieval round headed arches.
- This work gave Jacques-Louis his breakthrough to dominance over French painting for the rest of his long life.
Jacques-Louis David. NAPOLEON CROSSING THE SAINT-BERNARD. 1800-1801
- A very styistic painting. It's neoclassical because it's an imitation of sculpture.
- It uses local color: every object has its own color and isn't being reflected from anything else.
- This was painted after he conquered venice
Joseph Mallord William Turner. RAIN, STEAM, AND SPEED-The Great Western Railway. 1844 (detail)
- Ruscan wrote a lot about turner and hpw he could create these amazing atmospheres.
- Ruscan talked about how in the mediebal ages they could express themselves much better..
- He felst that the artists in the 14th century could be inspired much more deeply instead of focusing more on the next assignment.
Antoine-Jean Gros, NAPOLEON IN THE PLAGUE HOUSE AT JAFFA. 1804
- There was a war and Naploeon wanted to show e was sympathetic toward them.
- He took his glove off to greet them. Naploeon is ouching the sore which is crazy because at that time it was dangerous.
- French flag in the background means the area was captured.
- The just beat the Turks and the oval stripe represents that. It's like a mosque. Horseshoe arch on the left- Islamic.