The conscientious, explicit & judicious use of current best evidence in making decisions about the care of a patient
Purpose of Evidenced-based Med?
combo of good clinical trials, along w/ clinical knowledge, to decide upon efficacious therapeutic regimes
What is Evidence-based Medicine depedent on?
DZ that occurs with predictable regularity in a population?
DZ that many people/animals require over a short period & in excess of expected levels?
Widespread epidemic/epizootic involving more than one country?
What are the 6 stipulations of a WHO pandemic? (involves humans)
- New to the population or just resurfaced
- Causing serious illness
- Spreads easily & sustainably
- High morbidity & High mortality
- Spread occurs into 2 or more countries in 1 WHO region
- Community level outbreaks in at least 1 other country in a different WHO region
Dz that occurs infrequently in a population.
Primary purpose of surveillance in public health practice?
Monitor trends in DZ occurrence including detection of epidemics/pandemics
What is passive surveillance? Problem with?
- Vet agencies make no active efforts to collect dz. info
- inaccurate info on dz. frequency
- difficult to set priorities for control programs
Uses structured dz. surveys to collect high quality dz. info quickly
What do we do with the data collected from a surveillance system?