Flashcards in Workshop 2 - Research methods Deck (9)
What measures does qualitative research identify?
- this can be of something happening without intervention, the quality of an intervention, or the reasoning behind a lack of engagement with an intervention (e.g. non-compliance)
What measures does quantitative research identify?
What questions does qualitative research ask?
What questions does quantitative research ask?
- and then the magnitude and association e.g. prevalence/incidence of a disease and a relationship/association with other factors
Does qualitative/quantitative research always start with a hypothesis/a priori assumption?
Quantitative usually does - answerable research question + hypothesis
Qualitative usually doesn't - open question which enables exploration of what's going on, sometimes have a hypothesis, when appropriate
What is a good example of a qualitative research method?
Unstructured interviews which generate qualitative data through the use of open questions
- allows respondent to talk in some depth, choosing their own words
Is qualitative research only limited to words? What can it be?
No it isn't
- can be photos, videos, sound recordings, social media content and so on
- all can be considered and analysed as qualitative data
What are 4 quantitative research techniques?
Surveys or questionnaires
Observation or counting