Flashcards in 2016 (Week 43) Deck (15):
pick, collect, reap
scythe, mow down, reap, cut down
- cut or gather (a crop or harvest).
large numbers of men were employed to reap the harvest
alleviate, mitigate, soften, ease, lessen, soothe
facilitate, relieve, alleviate, extenuate
- make (suffering, deficiency, or a problem) less severe.
he couldn't prevent her pain, only alleviate it
supreme, paramount, sovereign
main, capital, major, chief, principal, paramount
highest, topmost, upmost, paramount, top, utmost
- more important than anything else; supreme.
the interests of the child are of paramount importance
synonyms: most important, of greatest/prime importance, uppermost, supreme, chief, overriding, predominant, foremost, prime, primary, principal, highest, main, key, central, leading, major, top, number-one
- a city in southwestern California, southeast of Los Angeles; population 55,236 (est. 2008).
crop up, turn up, come up, emerge, appear, start up
- move out of or away from something and come into view.
black ravens emerged from the fog
synonyms: come out, appear, come into view, become visible, surface, materialize
- huge; enormous.
a humongous steak
- a hard crystalline metamorphic form of limestone, typically white with mottlings or streaks of color, that is capable of taking a polish and is used in sculpture and architecture.
She walked through her kitchen and down the hall to the foyer, which was complete with white marble flooring and a crystal chandelier.
- a small ball of colored glass or similar material used as a toy.
For Irving, I bought a one dollar sack of glass marbles .
- stain or streak (something) so that it looks like variegated marble.
the low stone walls were marbled with moss and lichen
- фарба за косу
shadow, shade, umbra, silhouette, tint, umbrage
color, colour, paint, dye, suit, tint
nuance, hue, shade, tint, tone, contrast
shade, tint, tinge
- a shade or variety of color.
the sky was taking on an apricot tint
synonyms: shade, color, tone, hue, pigmentation, tinge, cast, tincture, flush, blush, wash
- an artificial dye for coloring the hair.
The orange tint coloured her hair and made her skin look ill, but I recognised her.
synonyms: dye, coloring, rinse, highlights, lowlights
- color (something) slightly; tinge.
her skin was tinted with delicate color
purl, gurgle, ripple, burble
comb, ridge, reef, crest, crag, ripple
rolling, ripple, backwash, undulation, welter
hum, ripple, babble
- a small wave or series of waves on the surface of water, especially as caused by an object dropping into it or a slight breeze.
Feeling the need to vent his anger, Shane threw a stone into the little pond at Central Park, causing a series of violent ripples in the water that was before so calm.
synonyms: wavelet, wave, undulation, ripplet, ridge, ruffle
- a type of ice cream with wavy lines of colored flavored syrup running through it.
- (of water) form or flow with small waves on the surface.
the Mediterranean rippled and sparkled
synonyms: form ripples on, ruffle, wrinkle
expect, anticipate, await, look for, watch
forestall, anticipate, obviate, advance
- regard as probable; expect or predict.
she anticipated scorn on her return to the theater
synonyms: expect, foresee, predict, be prepared for, bargain on, reckon on, figure on
- act as a forerunner or precursor of.
he anticipated Bates's theories on mimicry and protective coloration
cumbersome, unwieldy, awkward, clumsy, ungainly, lumbering
bulky, cumbersome, lumbering, unwieldy, logy, clumsy
- difficult to carry or move because of its size, shape, or weight.
the first mechanical clocks were large and unwieldy
synonyms: cumbersome, unmanageable, unmaneuverable, awkward, clumsy, massive
- продавати на мало
- the sale of goods to the public in relatively small quantities for use or consumption rather than for resale.
the product's retail price
- sell (goods) to the public by retail.
the difficulties in retailing the new products
- being sold by retail.
it is not yet available retail
height, altitude, level, elevation, tallness, highness
lifting, rising, uprising, elevation, heaving, setting-up
project, layout, elevation, plan
- the action or fact of elevating or being elevated.
her sudden elevation to the cabinet
synonyms: promotion, upgrading, advancement, advance, preferment, aggrandizement, ennoblement, step up the ladder
- height above a given level, especially sea level.
a network of microclimates created by sharp differences in elevation
synonyms: altitude, height
- a particular side of a building.
a burglar alarm was prominently displayed on the front elevation
acquire, gain, get, receive, win
get, receive, obtain, win, acquire, get in
purchase, buy, acquire, procure, pick up
make, acquire, obtain
- buy or obtain (an object or asset) for oneself.
Instead, tax will become payable automatically 30 days after the date that the purchaser acquires the property or land.
synonyms: obtain, come by, get, receive, gain, earn, win, come into, be given, buy
fragile, shivery, brittle
- hard but liable to break or shatter easily.
her bones became fragile and brittle
synonyms: breakable, fragile, delicate, splintery, frangible
- a candy made from nuts and set melted sugar.