Flashcards in Week 23 Deck (15):
use, utilize, exploit, avail, make the most of, draw on
feat, stunt, exploit, accomplishment
- a bold or daring feat.
the most heroic and secretive exploits of the war
синоними: feat, deed, act, adventure, stunt, escapade, achievement, accomplishment, attainment, lark, caper
- a software tool designed to take advantage of a flaw in a computer system, typically for malicious purposes such as installing malware.
if someone you don't know tweets you a link, it's either spam, an exploit, or probably both
- make full use of and derive benefit from (a resource).
500 companies sprang up to exploit this new technology
синоними: utilize, harness, use, make use of, turn/put to good us
wisdom, skill, astuteness
- the quality of having experience, knowledge, and good judgment; - the quality of being wise.
And a stoic is a person who combines the qualities of wisdom , upright dealing, and courage.
pond, lakelet, stank
fishpond, nurse pond, linn, fishery, piscina, pond
- скупити се у језерце
- a small body of still water formed naturally or by hollowing or embanking.
Projecting eaves and bamboo verandahs shaped views of gardens with ponds , streams and artificial hills.
синоними: pool, waterhole, lake, tarn, reservoir, slough, beaver pond, lagoon
- hold back or dam up (flowing water or another liquid) to form a small lake.
Completely collapsed ponds were areas where the remnants of a dam were still present and water was partially ponded behind the dam, but at least part of the dam was fully breached and water was freely flowing through the breached area.
species (SHēz, ˈspēsēz)
type, kind, sort, species, class, category
- a group of living organisms consisting of similar individuals capable of exchanging genes or interbreeding. The species is the principal natural taxonomic unit, ranking below a genus and denoted by a Latin binomial, e.g., Homo sapiens.
As in Darwin's theory of natural selection, a species must adjust to survive.
- the visible form of each of the elements of consecrated bread and wine in the Eucharist.
whip, scourge, lash, whipcord
- улупани крем
- ударац бичем
lash, whip, whang
whip, whisk, beat up
cow-hide, scourge, whip
- a strip of leather or length of cord fastened to a handle, used for flogging or beating a person or for urging on an animal.
I wouldn't be surprised if they walked around their office wearing tight leather and vinyl with whips and riding crops at their sides.
синоними: lash, scourge, strap, belt, rod, bullwhip, cat-o'-nine-tails
- a thing or person resembling a whip in form or function.
a licorice whip
- beat (a person or animal) with a whip or similar instrument, especially as a punishment or to urge them on.
There they kicked us, beat us, whipped us with electric cables and shocked us with electricity!
синоними: flog, scourge, flagellate, lash, strap, belt, thrash, beat,
tire, rubber, gum, India rubber
condom, rubber, preservative
masseur, massagist, rubber
- гумица за брисање
- a tough elastic polymeric substance made from the latex of a tropical plant or synthetically.
One advantage of this material is that it is more resistant to alcohols than natural rubber latex and vinyl.
- a contest consisting of a series of successive matches (typically three or five) between the same sides or people in tennis, cricket, and other games.
They couldn't beat Jill Schofield and Viv Williamson but won five of the rubbers , top scorers for Poppleton being Kath Halliday and Hilary Spencer winning 22 games.
thin, slender, fine, light, wispy, slight
vilify, disrespect, slight, underestimate, disdain
- дати некоме корпу
scorn, slur, slight
- small in degree; inconsiderable.
a slight increase
синоними: small, modest, tiny, minute, inappreciable, negligible, insignificant, minimal, remote, slim, faint, razor-thin, minuscule, de minimis, exiguous
- an insult caused by a failure to show someone proper respect or attention.
an unintended slight can create grudges
синоними: insult, affront, snub, rebuff, put-down, brush-off, dig
- insult (someone) by treating or speaking of them without proper respect or attention.
he was careful not to slight a guest
синоними: insult, snub, rebuff, repulse, spurn, treat dis
flaw, drawback, defect, fault, manna, shortcoming
fissure, crack, crevice, gap, cleft, flaw
- јак налет ветра
- a mark, fault, or other imperfection that mars a substance or object.
plates with flaws in them were sold at the outlet store
синоними: defect, blemish, fault, imperfection, deficiency, weakness, weak spot/point/link, inadequacy, shortcoming, limitation, failing, foible, hamartia, bug, glitch
- a squall of wind; a short storm.
High cirrus clouds form white streaks across its surface and a number of dark storms act as flaws and focus for the eye.
- (of an imperfection) mar, weaken, or invalidate (something).
the computer game was flawed by poor programming
- без живота
lifeless, inanimate, spiritless, insensate, dead-alive
care, concern, worry, bother, trouble, botheration
interest, concern, behoof
enterprise, firm, concern
concern, worry, trouble, distress, disturb
- бавити се
engage in, deal in, go in for, have, concern
- тицати се
regard, concern, pertain
sight, view, horizon, perspective, ken, reach
range, reach, throw
reach, achieve, catch up, make, come to
arrive, reach, get, catch up, come, get in
reach, impinge, infringe
stretch out, reach, spread out, extend, reach out, put out
turn, reach, pass
deliver, surrender, hand over, hand, give in, reach
add, add to, pass, append, hand, reach
collect, summon, reach, rally, whip up, marshal
- an act of reaching out with one's arm.
she made a reach for him
a continuous extent of land or water, especially a stretch of river between two bends, or the part of a canal between locks.
the upper reaches of the Nile
- stretch out an arm in a specified direction in order to touch or grasp something.
he reached over and turned off his bedside light
синоними: stretch out, hold out, extend, outstretch, thrust out, stick out
assumption, presumption, hypothesis, supposition, conjecture, surmise
- a thing that is accepted as true or as certain to happen, without proof.
they made certain assumptions about the market
синоними: supposition, presumption, belief, expectation, conjecture, speculation, surmise, guess, premise, hypothesis, conclusion, deduction, inference, illation, notion, impression
- the action of taking or beginning to take power or responsibility.
the assumption of an active role in regional settlements
синоними: seizure, arrogation, appropriation, expropriation, commandeering, confiscation, hijacking, wresting; acceptance, shouldering, tackling, undertaking
- the reception of the Virgin Mary bodily into heaven. This was formally declared a doctrine of the Roman Catholic Church in 1950.
His Requiem Mass was celebrated in the Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
- arrogance or presumption.
ability, capability, capacity, competence, faculty, facility
lightness, easiness, facility, levity, levitation, legerity
skill, art, ability, craft, crafts, facility
- space or equipment necessary for doing something.
синоними: provision, space, means, potential, equipment; amenity, resource, service, advantage, convenience, benefit; establishment, center, place, station, location, premises, site, post, base, joint, outfit, setup
- an ability to do or learn something well and easily; a natural aptitude.
he had a facility for languages
синоними: aptitude, talent, gift, flair, bent, skill, knack, genius, ability, proficiency, compete
suitable, appropriate, convenient, apposite, correlative, neat
convenient, handsome, suitable, attractive, appropriate, opportune
determine, set, define, designate, appoint, appropriate
decide, determine, destine, appropriate
usurp, arrogate, appropriate, preempt, assume, convert
-suitable or proper in the circumstances.
a measure appropriate to a wartime economy
синоними: suitable, proper, fitting, apt, right, relevant, pertinent, apposite, convenient, opportune, seemly, befitting, ad rem, meet
- take (something) for one's own use, typically without the owner's permission.
his images have been appropriated by advertisers
синоними: seize, commandeer, expropriate, annex, arrogate, sequestrate, sequester, take over, hijack; steal, take, swipe, nab, bag, pinch; plagiarize, copy, poach, steal, borrow, rip off
- devote (money or assets) to a special purpose.
there can be problems in appropriating funds for legal expenses
синоними: allocate, assign, allot, earmark, set aside, devote, apportion