Flashcards in Week 21 Deck (10):
founded, grounded, basic, fundamenta
- involving or limited to basic principles.
he received a rudimentary education
синоними: basic, elementary, primary, fundamental,
cross, cover, go over, shift, pass over, traverse
travel, journey, tour, traverse, itinerate, peregrinate
traverse, go around
deny, unsay, retract, gainsay, disavow, traverse
cross, traverse, crossbreed, hybridize, interbreed
- попречна греда
crossbeam, crosspiece, traverse, transom
setback, obstacle, barrier, hurdle, impediment, traverse
- пловидба на цик-цак
disclamation, disclaimer, retraction, retractation, denial, traverse
slant, slanting, oblique, sloping, skew, traverse
cross, transverse, transversal, thwart, traverse
- an act of traversing something.
They'll find out soon enough, and the traverses across the featureless, flat topography of Meridiani Planum is going to make for ‘smooth sailing’ for the rover.
- a part of a structure that extends or is fixed across something.
The access to the feed was adapted to the size of animals with a traverse allowing only one animal to enter.
- a mechanism enabling a large gun to be turned to face a different direction.
Each time the gun is fired, the tube must go into detente for cartridge ejection, and the power traverse of the turret is inoperable during ejection and reloading operations.
- a single line of survey, usually plotted from compass bearings and chained or paced distances between angular points.
The backbone of any land survey is a traverse consisting of a sequence of n stations numbered 1,2, ..., n.
- a pair of right-angled bends incorporated in a trench to avoid enfilading fire.
"Sir," announced an orderly, poking his head around a traverse in the trench, "dinner is served."
- travel across or through.
he traversed the forest
синоними: travel over/across, cross, journey over/across, pass over, cover, ply, wander, roam, range
- move (something) back and forth or sideways.
a probe is traversed along the tunnel
- deny (an allegation) in pleading.
Each and every allegation herein contained is denied as if specifically traversed and the Claimant is put to the proof thereof.
- (of a curtain rod) allowing the curtain to be opened and closed by sliding it along the rod.
There is so much on the market today - decorative traverse rods, pole sets, metal or wood rods.
treason, betrayal, treachery, sellout, stab
- betrayal of trust; deceptive action or nature.
his resignation was perceived as an act of treachery
синоними: betrayal, disloyalty, faithlessness, unfaithfulness, infidelity, breach of trust, duplicity, dir
pant, gasp, blow
- једва изговорити
gasp out, gasp
- a convulsive catching of breath.
his breath was coming in gasps
синоними: gulp, exclamation, cry, sharp inhalation
- inhale suddenly with the mouth open, out of pain or astonishment.
a woman gasped in horror at the sight of him
синоними: pant, puff, wheeze, breathe hard, choke, fight for breath
- the amount of work to be done by someone or something.
he had been given three deputies to ease his workload
insert, put in, interpose, interpolate, intercalate, infix
- a formative element inserted in a word.
The suffixes and infixes are organized under two headings: nouns, adjectives, and pronouns and verbs.
- implant or insert firmly in something.
The infixing structure is utilized to secure fixing of the lampshades at any position on the conducting support tubes.
- insert (a formative element) into the body of a word.
You don't say like in English I talked - I will talk, but infixing , you have morphemes which are within the root.
segregate, separated, secluded, separate
segregate, separate, detached, separated, sequestered, divided
segmentation, separation, dissociation, detachment, segregation, segregate
segregate, mark off, single out, abstract, extricate
separate, detach, set off, break off, disconnect, segregate
hide, conceal, stash
- тајно складиште
- a secret store of something.
the man grudgingly handed over a stash of notes
синоними: cache, hoard, stock, stockpile, store, supply, accumulation, collection, reserve
- a hiding place or hideout.
Susan Sontag went to see Philip Johnson, the New York architect, or rather she ‘moseyed along to his stash on Park’.
- store (something) safely and secretly in a specified place.
their wealth had been stashed away in Swiss banks
синоними: store, stow, pack, load, cache, hide, conceal, secrete, hoard, save, stockpile, salt away
also, too, as well, likewise, ditto
- на исти начин
- in the same way; also.
the dream of young people is to grow old, and it is likewise the dream of their parents to relive youth
синоними: also, in addition, too, as well, to boot, besides, moreover, furthermore
- in a like manner; similarly.
I stuck out my tongue and Frankie did likewise
синоними: the same, similarly, correspondingly, in the same way, in similar fashion