Flashcards in 49: Street Shoe Options - Denison Deck (15)
what is a pedorthist?
-- Pedorthics (peh-DOR-thiks): the design, manufacture, modification, and fit of footwear to alleviate problems caused by disease, overuse, congenital condition or injury.
-- A Pedorthist works under a Physician’s order for all custom work
Anatomy of a Shoe
Heel counter: long, regular, back stay
Vamp: smooth, seam, moccasin
Top line: padded, non-padded
Shank area: wide, standard, fiddle
Sole construction: welt, slip welt, cement
different sole compositions
- Soles individually cut for length and width
- Shoes can easily be repaired or modified
- Light weight
- Very durable
- Can be made in multiple densities
- Limited sizing structure
- More difficult to repair and modify
Women's shoes _______ sizes smaller than men's for the same given size
1.5 - 2
womens 9 =
When comparing the same shoe style, a half size larger will be ______ longer
- a full size is 1/3 of an inch
A width wider will be ______ at the plantar surface and a total of ____ in circumference
women's shoe sizing medium =
men's shoe sizing medium =
what does the last determine?
- gives the shoe its overall fit
what is a depth shoe?
- Non-removable Insoles
- Removable Insoles, may or may not be adjusted for depth
- Depth Inlay Shoes, ¼ Added to depth of shoe
- Double Depth Shoes, ½ Added to depth of shoe
who qualifies for the medicare diabetic shoe program?
-- Patient has been diagnosed as having Diabetes Mellitus
-- Patient has one of following conditions:
- History of partial or complete amputation of the foot
- History of previous foot ulceration
- History of pre-ulcerative callus
- Peripheral neuropathy with evidence of callus formation
- Poor circulation
The patient needs to have a two separate documents before they may receive shoes and insoles ...
1. Statement of Certifying Physician for Therapeutic Shoes.
- Must be filled out by a M.D. or D.O.
- Statement must be kept on file by ultimate supplier
- may be a M.D., D.O. or D.P.M.
- Prescription must include the appropriate diagnosis
- Prescription must include what is to be dispensed
who can be the supplier of footwear for medicare?
- Podiatrist, (can also be the prescribing physician)
- Or other qualified individual