Flashcards in 7th Grade Vocab 5 Deck (76)
a thing that is added; an appendix or addition to a book or written document
filled with amazement, disgust, fear or terror
more than enough, large, spacious
a ghost or ghostly figure; an unexplained or unusual appearance
to declare or state as truth, maintain or defend, put forward forcefully
to crouch or shrink away in fear or shame
- to look upon with scorn; to refuse scornfully- a feeling of contempt
a brief statement written on a tomb or gravestone
- having to do with morals, values, right and wrong; in accordance with standards of right conduct- requiring a prescription for purpose
humorous, not meant seriously
not able to be heard
without restraint or control; unselective
- crafty dealings, underhanded plotting- to form and carry out plots- to puzzle or excite the curiosity
an area of authority or control; the right to administer justice
appearing true, reasonable or fair
- common, vulgar; belonging to the lower class- a common person, member of the lower class
- wastefully extravagant; lavishly or generously abundant- one who is wasteful and self-indulgent
- to grind or pound to a powder or dust- to destroy or overcome (as though by smashing into fragments)
- highly changeable; fickle- tending to become violent or explosive- changing from the liquid to the gaseous state
Cases involving robbery and assault are usually tried under the __ of the state courts.
Their story didn't sound __ to me.
The couple's taste in cars is quite __.
At one time, the __ of ancient Rome were excluded from holding public office of any kind.
We have a tight budget, but we make an exception for __ celebrations of family birthdays.
The elderly man told us that he greatly regretted the years he spent living the life of a __.
The house's __ to schools is an asset.
At many old mills in Vermont, granite stones were used to __ the grain.
A person who is usually calm and collected may nevertheless sometimes behave in a __ manner.